Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fronto\'s heart attack?
A new study has found evidence of heart disease in ancient Egyptians.

I’ve been curious about some of Fronto’s letters where he details his health. He talks about severe pain in his arm and neck (Loeb I, pg. 219), groin and back (pg. 225) and in his shoulder and neck (pg. 227), finally culminating in some sort of attack:

Quote:I have had such a choleraic attack that I lost my voice, gasped and struggled for breath; finally, my circulation failed and the pulse being imperceptible I became unconscious; in fact, I was given up by my family as dead and remained insensible for some time. The doctors were given no time or opportunity to revive or relieve me even with a warm bath or cold water or food, except that after nightfall I swallowed a few morsels of bread soaked in wine. Thus I was gradually brought quite round. For three whole days after I did not recover my voice. But now by God’s hep I am getting on very comfortably

Loeb Fronto I, pg 242-243

This last letter has been dated to about 154 – 156, and Fronto probably died ten years later.

Do you think this could have been a heart attack?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Ave Fratres,

Could have been a heart attack but it may have been a Thrombosis (Clot) that moved around his circulatory system,...hence the pain in various areas, culminating in a stroke. Without boring everyone with personal medical details, I had something similar to that but got off lucky as the episode was a very mild one. Thromboses or Clots can be caused by a variety of factors to include old injuries that damaged a vein.

Just another lay persons diagnosis Smile

Regards from a foggy and cold Balkans,

Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE