Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscled Cuirass- Prodromi Iron type & NEW Copper Alloy Type
After continuing with the grinding and repeated steps to remove the scratches, used a wire wheel on a bench grinder to even out the texture of the whole breastplate, then polished it again with a foam sanding pad to make it smooth and shiny but still a bit dull, since flat brushed isn't any more correct than mirror polished. I also realized that the arm hole shape was not quite right- initially I'd been unsure if the edges were all folded over or if they had a separate binding, so I left enough metal for the former; I've since realized they were bound so I could cut everything to the proper final shape. I've drawn in the binding on the epomides to get an idea of the final look, and the brass discs are there to further allow an idea of what the finished piece will look like. I realized too at this point the second section of the rectus abdominis was still projecting too much and the demarkation between it and the upper was too much, so I went back to the domed wooden form to flatten them some with the heavy smithing hammer (large face on a wooden form means gentle movement- no denting).

The last photo shows the adjustments of the arm hole and abdominal muscles. I've lost one of the mockup chest discs. What I still have to do is put on all the edge binding, and construct the hinges that must have been at the sides and on the edges of the epomides where they meet the back plate- and of course the back plate itself LOL I'll add to this little presentation as those things are completed.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Muscled Cuirass- Prodromi Iron Version - by Matt Lukes - 11-15-2009, 01:26 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muscled Cuirass Matt Lukes 36 12,176 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes