Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscled Cuirass- Prodromi Iron type & NEW Copper Alloy Type
Cool Byron- I'm sure a bunch of folks would be happy if it happens that they have 8-10% tin bronze at 24" wide and about 1.5mm thick as that's what's necessary for a good muscle cuirass- it'd just rock if they also had the same size in about 0.8mm for bell cuirasses...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Very nice! But what got me especially excited was the replica of the iron cuirass from Vergina in the background. Oh how I hope to own one myself someday...
Scott B.
That shouldn't have to be a some-day kind of wish though Scott- it's a fairly simple piece so not terribly costly to recreate- the only 'tough' thing is the cast lion heads and even that isn't ridiculously costly; unless of course you want it to be forged from billet iron and for real gold to be used Wink
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Well,that specific reproduction has gold plated prass decoration. I think the decoration,even if not gold or guilded is not an easy thing to make,and would be much of the cost of the piece.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Oh no, not at all- the original was done with a stamp I'm sure of it, so is very easy to recreate- and gold-plating is not terribly expensive Big Grin lol:
Giannis,

Excellent musculata. Confusedhock: The bronze color is beautiful. 8)

I too would like a musculata for a Roman impression in bronze but as was pointed out, large bronze sheets are a little difficult to come by. I think that it is a clever idea to "sweat" two pieces together. At least a bronze armor can be obtained.

Not to go OT, but I think that for Greek and pre-Augustan Rome, the bronze is most appropiate. However, for the Roman period especially after Augustus, brass is just as reasoable since brass was used for helmets, sword parts, etc.

Again, congratulations on the musculata
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Matt:

As I have absolutely no experience in metal working, the only way I'll get my hands on one is if I buy it Big Grin Whereas your replicas of body armor are magnificent I'm afraid mine would turn out atrocious. But thank you for the encouragement!
Scott B.
Well thanks, and you're welcome- but I wasn't just being nice; this type of cuirass is perfect for beginners since it's just a few large plates and the shaping isn't complicated. Big Grin If you ever do decide you might like to give it a go, feel free to contact me and I'd be more than happy to help out with advice, etc.
Wow I just found this. Amazing work! Confusedhock:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Well thanks Craig, I appreciate the compliment- it was definitely not easy...
Dude of course it's not easy! Your closet must be filled with pieces and tests from the beginning. I could imagine a personal display of all the mistakes I have made in the attempt.! Confusedhock: One day I will make myself something cool. I hope it can be half of that quality. Smile
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Quote:Dude of course it's not easy! Your closet must be filled with pieces and tests from the beginning. I could imagine a personal display of all the mistakes I have made in the attempt.! Confusedhock: One day I will make myself something cool. I hope it can be half of that quality. Smile

No kidding! The cuirass is simply awesome.
Scott B.
I am :mrgreen: with envy!

Absolutely beautiful work, Matt.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Actually, since I've been making ancient stuff professionally for years now, and sheet metalworking techniques are often 'transferrable', I didn't have any failures before I got it right- and I wasn't sure that even though the iron version had worked, the 50% thicker copper alloy one would. And I'm certainly fortunate that I get orders for these kinds of things so I have the opportunity to try them and refine my techniques with each subsequent piece. Not that I've had a lot of orders for these muscle thoraces just yet but enough so I can cement the necessary subtlties. This is definitely my most favourite type of armour of any type of any period...
Excellent! Sheet metal huh? I made an articulated gauntlet when I was 13 years old but trust me it isn't worth a picture (unless it were in a failed armors section :wink: ). It isn't pretty but the galvanized steel was sufficient to protect the hand. I still have it and use it when sparring with wooden and steel swords.
Craig Bellofatto

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muscled Cuirass Matt Lukes 36 12,034 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes