Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes
Ross Cowan wrote:
Quote:Yes, excellent books and the most up-to-date treatments of the subject.

To quote Mandy Rice-Davies ( call girl involved in the Profumo affair):
"Well, 'e would say that, wouldn't 'e ! "
- being as how he is a friend and fellow "Osprey Author" of Duncan Campbell. A shameless "plug" for a commercial product, and specifically against the rules of RAT ( as is your signature)

Quote:"......likewise members are prohibited from posting on behalf of a commercial enterprise so restricted, whether formally or informally."

However excellent Duncan's booklets may be, and I would agree with Jona that they are an excellent introduction, Four hundred years of Auxiliary Forts in just 60 pages or so, some of which is illustration, can hardly be any more than an introduction - and I hasten to add that it is no reflection on the Author, who is limited by the 'Osprey' format, and does well within those limitations.
By comparison, I have similar sized booklets devoted to a SINGLE fort, such as Birdoswald, or Porchester Castle or Vindolanda, and they don't claim to be any more than a "short guide" to their subject.

The original poster was looking for detailed information which he is far more likely to find in a much larger work, such as Anne Johnson's "Roman Forts of the 1st and 2nd centuries AD in Britain and the German provinces" - a book more than six times the size of Duncan's introductory booklet, and which covers only half the time-span.

As to "up-to-date" , I wasn't aware the Romans were currently carrying out renovations to their Forts to warrant an "up-to-date" revision! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Furthermore, as far as I recall, Duncan does not mention any 1st-2nd C Forts in Britain and Germany that are not covered in Ms Johnson's book. It would be more accurate to say Duncan's two booklets were "the most recent publications".........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Siege - 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Ross Cowan - 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Paullus Scipio - 02-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Ross Cowan - 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM