Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes
Quote:Duncan Campbell has written two very good introductions, Roman Legionary Fortresses and Roman Auxiliary Forts. Both were published by Osprey.

You may also appreciate the Saalburg.

...for something rather more substantial than an introduction, I would recommend two books in English not so far mentioned.

"Roman Forts" by Dr Roger Wilson; Bergstrom Boyle books 1979 ( contains 59 original reconstruction drawings, plans and diagrams together with 40 odd photos)
This book deals with the evolution of Roman Forts in Britain, with chapters divided into each century - first to fourth. It includes marching camps, legionary forts and auxiliary forts, and the introduction of stone works and other changes from the second century onward.....

"Roman Forts of the 1st and 2nd centuries AD in Britain and the German provinces" Anne Johnson; published Adam & Charles Black 1983

This is a substantial study, divided into categories e.g. Fort plans, Construction of the fort, details of the different types of defences, details of the various internal buildings, Food and Water supply, latrines and Bath Houses, The development and changes to Fort plans from late Republican times down to Septimius Severus, and finally Fort types and garrisons....
There are over 200 illustrations in the form of Camp plans, Fortress and Fort plans, photos of sites and reconstructions, details of buildings etc

Interestingly for your part of the world, Plans are included for Camps I,III and V at Renieblas; Castillejo and Pena Redonda - all at Numantia.

If your interest does turn to Numantia, PM me and I can make further recommendations.

I would endorse what Duncan Campbell says in that it might be better to base your reconstruction on a real example, rather than a hypothetical "typical" fort....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Siege - 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Paullus Scipio - 02-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Ross Cowan - 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Ross Cowan - 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM