Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arm guards
Hello to all.

My question is simple:
What type/s of arm-guards, if any, were used,and how they varied in period of 7th century BC until and at the battle of Plataea for example...(no later in 5th BC and onward).And is there a particular reason no arm guard can be seen in pottery or statues from 550-500 BC for example?

I found this interesting text about arm guards and greaves.But they talk about late Helladic period.
http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/armour4.htm

I also see this guard(s) from Olympia,although I read this upper arm + shoulder guard type was abandoned by the time of Persian wars.
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/261538 ... 2311fawLuv
Nikic R. Pavle

I would only like to ask one of those who now shamelessly praise themselves:
Would he, if he had my plane and I his, take off to fight,as I did,as we all did?
And we all know the answer....
Col. Slobodan Peric "Nobody Said NO" 1999
The armguards in Mr Salimbeti's page are Bronze Age - definteltly not used in the Archaic period.

The "olympia armguards" appear in the art in pottery date up to 500 B.C so you can not say "I am 100% sure " that at least elite hoplites did not use them 10 or 20 years later.

Kind regards
Yes, that page was just for interesting read.
So except "olympia armguards" we have no evidence of other arm guards used in late archaic,early classical period?

Thanks for answering.
Nikic R. Pavle

Would he, if he had my plane and I his, take off to fight,as I did,as we all did?
Of course we have. We have pottery and some statuarry like the bronze lakonian statuettes. The most famous of them has thigh guards,upper and lower arm guard. Lower arm guards are much more rare than upper ones,as you have noticed yourself. But they did exist.
So yes,in the persian wars some very few of the hoplites might have had arm guards and thigh guards.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Ok..So basically a rare piece of armor...certainly not an essential piece.
Thank you both!
Nikic R. Pavle

I rather think having those additional pieces of bronze armour was something for those who had the money.

So basicly Spartans have been depicted with upper and lower arm armour and thigh armour? Interesting, since every Spartan was somewhat equal in land so there wasn't really the rich and the poor(unlike later times) which could mean a Spartan could afford it. :|
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
Of all Lakonian statuettes i remember,only one has arm guards.
Also,of course there were rich and poor Spartans in every age.
Arm guards apear more often in Athenian pottery (i.e. Exsekias).
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]