Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Forum for Book Lovers and Citation Collectors
By special request, here's a new forum for discussion of resources and references. Feel free to offer opinions and reviews of anything Roman in print -- whether on paper or in e-format, fiction or non-fiction.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
thanks Jenny..very much appreciated. I think we might review for posterity the basic bookshelf every reenactor should have. I was chagrined, for example, when at our Lupercalia party Quintus exclaims "Where's your Petersen??". I did manage to get one today for only 7 pounds sterling, so I won't be embarrassed again.<br>
There seem to be three main reenactor books:<br>
<br>
Robinson's "Armour of Imperial Rome"<br>
Petersen's "Roman Legions Recreated in Full Color"<br>
and<br>
Bishop&Coulston's "Roman Military Equipment"<br>
<br>
although I'm sure most folks have their favorites, such as Connolly. <p>Richard<br>
An enthusiast and scholar wannabe<b>
[email protected] </p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Would have to agree most vigorously with Rich...Robinson and B&C being the top two holy grails for reenactors (can't wait for Bishop's new addition). At least you can find Peterson. Paying $200-300 for a copy of Robinson is a bit too difficult to explain to my wife.<br>
<br>
I have great fun looking through book biblio's and others suggestions, just to see what they have and then trying to find stuff. Now and then, I get ahold of something rewarding.<br>
<br>
Ok. Is it just me or what? Does Le Bohec's "The Imperial Roman Army" present more questions than answers? Wish I could remember who recommended it to me (I'd rather not carry a grudge...I prefer revenge). It doesn't belong on the same shelf with my Webster, Grant and Birley. Your thoughts?<br>
<br>
XOX...Chuck <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
There is a fair chance that that would be me (on the e-groups RomanArmy mailinglist).<br>
<br>
In my opinion LeBohec's book offers a more balanced and up to date picture of the imperial army than Webster in his <i> The Roman imperial army</i> and certainly more than Grant's <i> The army of the Caesars</i>. Not all details on the Roman army are as clear and unambiguously attested as presented by some of the popular publications which tend to cling tenaciously to some misconceptions (the mirage of the Roman war machine). If you should end up with more questions than answers, by all means read on. Check the source references and read the works cited there.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
I second Sander here, Chuck. LeBohec isn't the end-all-be-all but he's chock full of good tidbits. It helps to have a frame of reference on which to hang the tidbits, though, which is why he may appear fractured and confusing at times. Absorb the more coherent basic readings as you've been doing and LeBohec and the more esoteric scholars will start to make more sense. These are just my opinions, and Sander's, and ultimately each researcher/enthusiast must make their own judgments where tenditious issues are concerned, as far as whom to believe. Let's just say not all writers and scholars are created equal!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I would recommend<br>
<br>
Service in the Roman Army<br>
by Roy Davies <p></p><i></i>
I would echo that comment about Davies. I have found his Service in the Roman Army to be an inavaluable resource for the Imperial Roman army.<br>
<br>
I would also recommend Lawrence Keppie's The Making of the Roman Army From Republic to Empire. This book describes the evolution of a militia into the professional army of the empire. <p></p><i></i>
Ok. Say Jen and Sander (and anyone else), when you have a minute or two, take a look at the library pages on my website ( www.coh3pr.org ). See what I've got now and give me a couple or three recommendations of what should be on the "get" list of books (that are available).<br>
<br>
Of course, Robinson and Bishop are on the list (but for the going price of those two, I could get ten good books). Other stuff on the list I can't find (like Speidel). The ancients (Josephus, Pliny) are available.<br>
<br>
I'm not particular on topic (but anything dealing with Praetorians would be a plus). Cavalry, the ancients, battles, it's all good. I would appreciate your thoughts in addition to the ones already given. Thanks much, everyone.<br>
<br>
Jen, glad you found stuff to get from OMM. He's usually got something of interest there. <p></p><i></i>
hey..did you have to clean up that mud and water trench, or is that a permanent fixture? Not to quibble with the effort, but did Roman forts have moats?<br>
I would think the trenches might fill up with water, maybe not. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Salve,<br>
<br>
Thanks for the link.<br>
<br>
Always good for the 'must get' list is anything by Peter Connolly. His books contain good information and superb artwork. <i> Rome and Greece at war</i> was recently reprinted and one should be able to get hold of a copy. This combines artwork from <i> The Roman army</i>, <i> The Greek armies</i> and <i> Hannibal and the enemies of Rome</i> along with some new ones with a more detailed text and contributions from B. Dobson and R.S.O Tomlin. The two titles on Tiberius Claudius Maximus, captor of Decebalus, are also recommendable reads.<br>
<br>
The standard academic work on the praetorian guard is <i> Les cohortes praetoriennes</i> by M. Durry, which however has the disadvantage, besides being written in French for those who have no French, of being out of date, being written some sixty years ago. University libraries may have a copy, but it is rare.<br>
<br>
Here are some publications that contain relevant material for the praetorian guard which one probably can find much easier:<br>
<br>
Campbell, B., <i> The emperor and the Roman army 31BC-AD235</i> (Oxford 1984) 468p. A reprint should be still available.<br>
Kennedy, D.L., 'Some observations on the Praetorian Guard' in: <i> Ancient Society</i> 9 (1978), 275-301. On size of cohorts.<br>
Sasel, J., 'Zur Rekrutierung der Praetorianer' in: <i> Historia</i> 21 (1972), 474-480.Onpraetorians recruited from outside Italy.<br>
Smith, R.E., 'The army reforms of Septimius Severus' in: <i> Historia</i> 21 (1972), 481-499. Some info on the reformed guard.<br>
Speidel, M.P., <i> Guards of the Roman armies</i> (Bonn 1978) 149p. (on the <i> singulares</i>, but snippets about the republican era praetorian units)<br>
Speidel, M.P., 'The Later Roman field army and the Guard of the High Empire' in: <i> Latomus</i> 46 (1987), 375-379. (Also reprinted in <i> Roman army studies II</i>).<br>
'Maxentius'praetorians' in: <i> Mélanges de l'École Francaise de Rome</i> 100 (1988) 183-186. (Also reprinted in <i> Roman army studies II</i>). The praetorian guard units were termed <i> cohortes palatinae</i> in their final years.<br>
Speidel, M.P., <i> Riding for Caesar. The Roman emperors' horse guard</i> (London 1994) 223p. Has some information on praetorian troopers.<br>
<br>
You should check at a nearby university library for periodicals like <i> Ancient Society</i>, <i> Historia</i>, and <i> Latomus</i>. <i> Guards of the Roman armies</i> is out of print, but <i> Riding for Caesar</i> is still listed on book sites, so it can probably still be ordered. A book in German by Stoever, <i> Die Praetorianer</i> is not very good and in my view can (should?) be avoided.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 6/6/01 2:23:21 pm<br></i>
Thanks, Sander. I will print off your recommendations for future use. I think someone could make a few bucks off an English translation of Durry's "Les Cohortes Pr".<br>
<br>
Do you have any hints on where to get a copy of "Roman Army Studies"? I've been looking for that one. I believe I can get a copy of "Riding for Caesar", but the other Speidel stuff seems impossible (I think Jenny is looking for him too). I think I can get Campbell as well.<br>
<br>
Sure wish you would consider the Durry translation (it needs to be done)...Chuck <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Book: Blood In The Forum-Struggle for the Roman Republic Narukami 0 1,005 02-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Narukami