Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cearnarforn fort museum faces closure
Sad Bad news indeed, could we send all together a prorest letter to Wales governement ?
What you need is someone to draw up a professional plan to balance funding, intake and expendature. Often as not, these locations are much too dependant on the fickle world of subsidies. Without a good businessplan, aimed at creating sufficient revenue to at least have a financial basis, this type of museum is an endangered species as soon as the tides of economy shift. I realise this is a "chicken or the egg" debate, so best fix the roof when it is dry, instead of waiting for a downpour to realise there is trouble. I have seen this far too often in my professional career (I do recreational concept development and feasablity studies), things are too often left too late and then, when there is no money at all anymore, does the urgency of having to change the state of affairs hit home. The very same thing has happened to Orientalis, an open air park in Nijmegen. Like the dinosaurs, those that do not addapt, become extinct. Sad, but true .....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Isn't there a group around there that does re-enactment or living history for Roman Military? I know there is one for the Anglo-Saxons. I watched a documentary and there were some Roman Re-Enactors on it. Film a documentary on the fort grounds and hit up the local travel agencies.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Finally I received a response to my letter to the Welsh Assembly Minister. Did anyone else get a reply?

Efforts will be made to keep the Museum open but of course it all depends on whether enough finances can be obtained. One would have thought that with all the organisations that are involved this would not be a problem but perhaps the problem is, is that too many organisations are involved. :?

I am also speaking to my Euro MP this Friday.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
A lot of museums are suffering financially at the moment, due to the economy and other factors. I'm not sure what the situation in Wales is vis a vis funding from the UK government, however, there's increasingly less of it about.

Certainly in England, because museums are not statutory obligations, many local councils are cutting or even altogether removing their funding, resulting in job losses, reduced opening hours and even complete closures. Some are even resorting to selling off part of their collection, something normally regarded as a cardinal sin. Meanwhile other sources of government-linked income like that from the Heritage Lottery Fund is being siphoned off to pay for the Olympics. It's an absolute nightmare for people in the heritage sector at the moment - speaking as one of them.
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
Is it all museums or just roman museums that suffer alot?

I guess for the brits it could be a little understandable that they would prioritize ww1 museums for example (due to it being more recent and some vets are still alive), but it would still be a real shame if they let these roman museums close though Confused
Erwin van Gorp
It's pretty much every museum which is threatened to a greater or lesser extent, though small ones and those funded by local authorities in particular.
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
Unfortunately, that has been a trend in recent years.
Hopefully, the exhibits can still be seen somewhere.