Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web copyright, getting credit for websites
I did see a distressing comment on one Thomas Ikin's website, a fellow who's got an interesting theory on Roman map making<br>
<br>
www.romanmap.com<br>
<br>
"(May 16, 2001) I find that a significant portion of material has been pirated for presentation elsewhere."<br>
<br>
It is perhaps why scholars dont' want to put too much out there. I wonder how the thief could get away with calling it their own if it's published like this? Seems they could be called on it very quickly. Perhaps the process of getting research and work into print will always be the deciding factor for copyright. <p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the High Noise, Low Signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I had the entire FAQ section from Armamentarium ripped off by somebody and stuck on their website after the html had been cleansed of all references to its source and authors (which were internal in the html as well as explicit on the page). I could get no reply from their email address and just got a big shrug from their ISP who basically didn't give a damn. As it is in the US and I am in the UK I'm not about to go to law over it (since Armamentarium has no funds it would be a bit difficult) but I am reserving the right to make an 'example' of it at some point in the future: that might catch the ISP's attention ;-)<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Would publishing as PDF's help? Can they be normally integrated into a website? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Not really - you can strip the content out of PDFs without too much effort. Even if you include the content as TIFFs or JPEGs, you could still OCR them after extraction. Not really an obstacle for the determined content thief. Downloading PDFs also tends to be slower than web pages.<br>
<br>
The silly thing is that most people who have websites will be only too happy to allow quotation if the source is made clear and permission has been asked.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
There have been digital watermarks that can be added to PDF files, and I've run across websites where the text cannot be cut/pasted (usually newspapers) and sometimes not even printed, though I don't know how those latter are done (ok, so I need a snippet of a news report occasionally).<br>
<br>
True, they won't deter the determined person but they make it a lot harder. <p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the HIGH NOISE/low signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I recently found a quite good site about the Varian Disaster which leaned pretty heavily on material from <i> Clades Variana</i>. Most of it was information anyone could glean from the sources, of course, but the hint that gave it away was in the discussion on Arminius' name. The author explained that his name was <b> not</b> Hermann, despite what most modern Germans think, and said that some scholars hypothesise that the original was '*Ermanameros'. Actually, no scholars hypothesise that, only I do, though its a possible reconstruction based on sound linguistic scholarship and which several scholars have looked over and given approval.<br>
<br>
He gave <i> Clades Variana</i> a very prominent place on his links page and I've recieved quite a few hits as a result, so I ain't complaining. As soon as I get around to my next update to CV I'll be returning the compliment and adding a link to his site as well.<br>
Cheers all,<br>
<br>
<p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<BR>
<P>
Visit Clades Variana - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>

</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Salve,<br>
<br>
From time to time I come across parts of my website on other sites, usually without credits and at times explicit claims of authorship. There is seldom a reaction when you mail them asking the original source to be credited.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... but!<br>
<br>
It is disheartening to be "ripped off" by another, especially after having done so much research to be quite correct.<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Copyright Graham Sumner 8 3,965 03-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Roman credit crunch Gaius Decius Aquilius 14 3,464 12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  For those suffering from the credit crunch....... Caballo 14 3,091 11-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat