Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armatura della Colchide
Of course, but first I wrote "here in Italy", and then you have named just 5 names (all absolutely respectable! In Italy we denominate a so high level persons "sacred monsters" Smile ), but archaelogists and historians are several thousand.

5 or 10, as well as 50 or 100, names among 10.000 in Europe are somewhat as nothing.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
yeah, but how big is the amount of the objects you mention in the total of object that have been found. All archeologist can't be an expert on everything. You have to specialize.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Yes, I could agree, if the armour would have been taken to Italy, discussed in a close circle of scholars, detected as what it actually is -a fake- and left in a closet or sold at a curiosity auction.

On the opposite, it was celebrated as the find of the century, it took the energies (and financial support) of an university with its departments and laboratories, it was shown on TV (although during a science-fiction-oriented programme), it was publicly exhibited following to a quasi-inernational congress about the Roman presence in Dacia and western Asia, it was announced that it will be studied and published from a team of worldwide-known experts...

Yes, the best could let silence and oblivion fall on this story, but in my opinion, this wouldn't avoid that similar stories would happen again.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Kind of like Al Capone's Vault... much ado about literally nothing...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hello,

some news: it appears that the armour is now under analysis and research at a laboratory, outside of Italy.

So, we are authorized to think that the discoverer doesn't consider that italian institute of conservation could be able to correctly analyze that artifact...

Let's see what happens.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang
Somehow i get the feeling from the photographs that the armour was cast rather than forged. I get the impression because if you compare the armour to, for example the ribchester parade helmet, the Colchise armour looks less pronounced in its embossing.
I have seen Facemasks in Nijmegen museum and somehow these appear to have a more sophisticated look.
Moreover i think the eyes of the mask are to wide compared to other facemasks i have seen.

Altough my knowledge of roman armour and facemasks is very modest i am more and more under the impression that this is a fake. But it is very well possible that it is a fake from the 18th or 19th century
Maarten
Has anyone seen my cat?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Total and utter fake... his grandparents probably buried the thing........

This is not doing Italian archaeology any good........

Where in the scientific world Italian Archaeologists are generally looked down upon, this guy really goes over the top...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
H.J. Is it a fact that Italian archaelogists are looked down upon? Is there some book with rankings or is this statement typical of everyone (especially in Europe) thinking that their country has the brightest and smartest? I am just curious because a few times I have seen on this form not so many respectful remarks made about Italy. We really should stay away from that sort of discussion or direction.

On another note, I would like to agree that before anything is presented to the public and celebrated that is should be studied in detail even if it takes years. I know of chemistry publicatons that were put out in great haste without all the experiments completed so that the professor can claim to be the first to do something. Then later have another University print a counter paper saying the original claim is incorrect with data to prove the errors.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Well, the problem is that even though there are some highly acclaimed Italian Archaeologists who do their best to work acording to international scientific conventions, there are even more self-proclaimed archaeologists who flood the media time and again with stories which are to say the least, not entirely in the realms of truth...

some shout out to the world they have found Imperial Signa after discovering a little box with some uncertain contents like lunar shaped discs et cetere, others publish utter nonsense like this piece of armour et cetera.

To be honest, archaeologists publishing well know fake helmets with a ring on top as being a real Roman helmet should imho go back to school.

Also the level of conservation of artefacts, buildings, caverns, ruins, monuments et cetera in Italy is not that good.

The Domus Aurea debacle, Pompeii in tatters, so many ancient beautiful spots not well looked after, others just plainly being neglected, and yet again others rotting away in museum cellar's with a moist problem.

So yes generally speaking Italian archaeology is not taken too seriousely by the other European countries, and untill they really start looking at themselves and changing things conservation-wise I am inclined to adhere to that stance.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.