Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
keyring
As some of you might know I'm now following jewellery making course to improve my skills is finishing the pieces I make. So I got the job to make a ring. So, I thouhgt, why not make one that can be useful. So I decided to make a keyring. Here some pictures of the rough product. Next will be a lot of sanding and polishing, but I already like the result. At least I think it's good for my first ring (and even my second attempt of brazing)

[Image: IMG_3876.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3877.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3878.jpg]

(Okay, I still have to make a chest with lock to go with it, but it will eventually become useful some day; First some other ongoing projects to finish)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Nice work Jurjen!

Legion: TBD
Thats cool man! What would a first first century lock look like? I've been wondering that lately...
Travis
Please forgive a very basic question, but how exactly is that used? (I know nothing about Roman locks or the like, obviously. :oops: )

At first I thought that it was a ring to hold keys, but the protruding part looked unwieldy. So I did some internet searching and found the pictures at the bottom of this page, and it looks like they talk about a key that is also a ring.

So is this what it is, Jurjen: a ring that is also a key?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Yes, it is a ring that also serves as a key. Thanks for posting that page. There the lock mechanism is also clearly described.

[Image: 853111_1669_2864361.jpg]

And here the inside of the lock that Theo Andela (Frisius-F) did:
[Image: _0149b.jpg]

It is actually quite simple. I already made a big one from wood and plexiglas to show how it worked to children during school visits Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
wow, that is REALLY cool! Thanks for posting this! I want to make one now!
Travis
Did the Romans use locks with differing dimension tumblers?
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Quote:Did the Romans use locks with differing dimension tumblers?

Yes, they did. If you look at the link Epictetus posted you'll find a lot of examples. Actually, my key is much to simple, I think. But that give me an easier job when making the lock. See for instance this keydesign: (So it's different dimensions and shapes), which seems a good and common design

[Image: 853111_2078_10883140]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:
Actually, my key is much to simple, I think.

I don't know Jurjen, I have seen artifacts that are no more elaborate that your ring. Good job!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel