Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option?
Of course i forgot to mention that indeed philipine swords can be spot-on for a kopis. It happens however that because the current reproductions of kopides are better than the leaf shaped swords,many re-enactors opt for a kopis,which is inaccurate. Kopides did exist but the xiphos was by far the most common sword.
Do use a philipine sword for a machaire though,but remember to change the grip and make a new scabard.
Khairete
Giannis

EDIT: in the previous post i said that the latest examples of such swords were the oned from Vergina and Derveni. This is actually not entirely true. Hellenistic swords were made mainly in the same fashion. Their lines changed somewhat but the idea was the same. Also the scabard lines changed somewhat. The scabard of Philip's sword shows the development towards the hellenistic swords,compared to earlier fifth century ones. However the swords itself kept almost the same lines,to the point that you can't tell exactly the date by the looks of it. This is actually very handy for us. It is also not true or at least very simplistic that blades went shorter as time passed. There are early blades that vary considerably in length and width,and i'd say most are well under 60 cm. The one i ordered will be about 50cm. Actually some fifth century swords in Thessaloniki were very narrow and well under 50cm long.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option? - by Karolus - 10-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Re: Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option? - by Virilis - 10-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Re: Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option? - by Virilis - 10-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Re: Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option? - by Virilis - 10-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Re: Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option? - by Karolus - 10-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Re: Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option? - by Kineas - 11-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Re: Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option? - by Kineas - 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Re: Inexpensive Kopis/Xiphos option? - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 11-20-2009, 03:12 PM