Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noxii - a question
I've got Emperors and Gladiators by Junkelmann, and The World of the Gladiator by Susanna Shadrake. I've also searched the old threads on this site. In none can I find the exact information I need. I appreciate that noxii were criminals, POWs, arsonists etc. etc. and condemned to die in such a way because they were non-citizens. Citizens could be executed or exiled, but not killed like the noxii. However in Shadrake there is one mention of deserters being condemned as noxii, and I know that army deserters (i.e. citizens) could be crucified - which is not one of the 'approved' methods of death for such people.
My question is: knowing that cowardice in the legions could be punished by crucifixion, do we definitely know one way or the other if army deserters were ever condemned as noxii? :?
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Thanks to more than thirty of you who have looked at my post. I guess the silence means that we don't know, which is what I suspected. If anyone knows otherwise though Idea , please put up a post. Thanks!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks