Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Phalanx to 4th Century BCE
Hi all

Long time no write.

I recently got interested in the nature of the Roman legion during this period - mainly because there seemed to be very little on it. Wondering if anyone has more leads out there. I found an interesting essay at this site ([url:17zy9dqz]http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/page.php?p=11412[/url]) but would like to have had more information about its sources.

I'd particularly like to know if anyone knows anything about possible Latin versions of Greek terms (e.g. enomotarch, lochagos, taxis etc).

Anything at all, really. Journal articles, books, online material, armour and weapons (of course!).

Cheers

Howard/SPC
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
I read this book a year or two ago and found it helpful.
Thanks Justin.

I've seen this book around but, for all that, have never really checked it out.

Cheers

Howard/SPC
When I started research on The Roman Conquests: Italy, I held to the standard view that the early legion was organised as a phalanx. I no longer believe that, and the idea of the legion as phalanx is dismissed in the book. But each to his/her own. For a balanced discussion of the pros and cons of the early legion as phalanx see, C.J. Smith, The Roman Clan: The Gens from Ancient Ideology to Modern Anthropology (CUP 2006).

Cheers,

R
Thanks, Ross

I am keeping a very open mind on the form of the levy during this period. In the absence of reliable written sources, it's probably going to be up to archaeology (and a few other "ologies") to paint the most credible picture.

Cheers

Howard / SPC