Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ANCIENT PERIOD MOVIE REVIEWS
The trailer looks beyond bizarre!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Looks good to me :lol:
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Better still -- they are currently filming the sequel.

The star was in Godzilla 2000 (all of you remember that one, don't you?) and he played one of my favorite characters, Taira no Tomomori in a TV series about Japan's most revered hero. Minamoto no Yoshitsune.

Unfortunately, Thermae Romae on Blu-ray is expensive, and the DVD is not cheap either. Will have to bid my time and find a good deal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2664264/

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
300 The Sequel with Eva Green. Out next March.

The trailers are doing the rounds. I would have put a link in but I got spammed by the site and then the BBCode wotsit wouldn't load!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Here is a link to the trailer on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrgSpvelFC4

Looks very much like more of the same -- visually it will be quite entertaining. Historically it will be worthless.

More amusing are the comments attached to this trailer -- the usual "This is a movie not a history lesson, get over it."

Ah, if only that were so. The problem, as many of you know, is too many movie goers accept what they see on the screen as real history. Such is the power of the moving image.

The Emperor Commodus murdered his father and was himself killed fighting in the arena.
The British Navy did not capture the German Enigma machine, that was accomplished by the US Navy.
Forest Gump did earn the Medal of Honor -- I saw LBJ put it around his neck.
The Nazis did escape to the Dark Side of the Moon and I have the footage to prove it.

Will the sequel and the prequel to Zack Snyder's 300 be entertaining? Sure, it certainly looks like it will be. They have a good cast. Besides, Eva Green with a bow and an attitude -- what's not to like? Yeowza!

Will these films have anything to do with the history of the Greco-Persian Wars? Sure, just about as much as Iron Sky had to do with the History of World War Two.

Hollywood Romans
Tinseltown Titans
Sunset Blvd Pharaohs

So long as the air con is cold, the popcorn hot, and the film in focus it will be a great summer at the cinema..

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Not a review as such but a heads up...300 the Sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrgSpvel...ata_player
Moi Watson

Quote:300 The Sequel
Having looked at the trailer I'm thinking that this is hardly an 'ancient period movie', is it? :whistle:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Vindex post=339213 Wrote:300 The Sequel
Having looked at the trailer I'm thinking that this is hardly an 'ancient period movie', is it? :whistle:

That is, in fact, an interesting point Robert.

When the film, Rome Sweet Rome, (about a US Marine brigade being magically teleported back to 1st Century Rome) is released will we consider it Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Ancient Period Film?

There are also several novels and a couple of films (currently in Development Hell) about the Romans in China. How would we classify them?

Then too there is Thermae Romae where an ancient Roman engineer is magically teleported to modern day Japan. (And then the high jinks really begin.)

Perhaps, and only in the broadest sense, these are all Ancient Period Films as the majority of the action takes place in ancient times.

Excellent point Robert.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Since my alleged spam post was unblocked, I have used a Moderator's rights and deleted it as we don't need to see it twice.

As for whether it is a real, period movie...to be honest, I go to the cinema for entertainment. REAL entertainment films get me there, the rest I wait for DVD.

This will be a cinema moment for me as was 300, Gladiator and a few notable films.
Moi Watson

Quote:Since my alleged spam post was unblocked, I have used a Moderator's rights and deleted it as we don't need to see it twice.

Moderator Abuse. Ban.

In a more serious sense, I have to agree with Narukami there. All these "ancient period movies" fall under several categories.
Well ...

I must admit that I do love going to the cinema, and will even make the effort to see films there that are already long available on DVD (like Lawrence Of Arabia, Spartacus or the extended version of Return Of The King). I remember the summer after I finished graduate school I saw practically everything released -- several good films and a lot of dogs (who remembers Mega Force ...?) And now, with my wife a member of IFP, we receive a couple dozen DVD's of films nominated for Spirit awards, so I have the opportunity to see some very good smaller films that do not enjoy wide release.

On the whole it seems clear that humans love stories -- both telling them and being told them. So, yes I will very likely see the 300 sequel and prequel, along with a lot of other films, good, bad, and indifferent. So long as the air con is cold, the popcorn hot and film in focus then it's not a total loss.

Oh, but not 3D. 3D ... Bah!

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:When the film, Rome Sweet Rome, (about a US Marine brigade being magically teleported back to 1st Century Rome) is released will we consider it Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Ancient Period Film?
Then too there is Thermae Romae where an ancient Roman engineer is magically teleported to modern day Japan. (And then the high jinks really begin.)

SF
Totally.
That includes legionaries appearing in Dr Who. Wink

Quote:There are also several novels and a couple of films (currently in Development Hell) about the Romans in China. How would we classify them?
Fantasy, but science fantasy, and sure, that one could stay in this topic. Wink After all, Gladiator was also a 'history/fantasy' movie...

About 300/301: that's not even in çlassical times' but something based on a dim memeory of classical times. I'd rather discuss game of Thrones in a medieval setting that this one!!
I mean, REALLY - how many differences can you spot between the reenactment image and the one with Cyrus presenting that cylinder?

[attachment=7411]300-movie-king.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=7412]998622_10151651196773610_1937232511_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Both have very bling earrings!
Or even these images -- still Hollywood, but compared to the new trilogy (299/300/301) they seem positively historical ...

[Image: 944_300_Spartans_publicity_photos_001.jpg]

[Image: Xerxes%20&%20Artemisia%20in%20300%20Spar...20film.jpg]

As opposed to ...

[Image: 20544051.jpeg]

Ah Hollywood.

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Both have very bling earrings!
That's not different, then. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most realistic movie depictions of ancient warfare Calvo 14 18,738 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  Subforum for movie reviews in off topic? jkaler48 3 7,164 10-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Section in the recreational area for Roman era movie reviews jkaler48 4 7,630 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius