Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ANCIENT PERIOD MOVIE REVIEWS
Hello Duncan

If you go onto Google Images and search for "Masada Catapult" you will see some nice photographs of both an onager and catapulta made for the series. A bit further down the images there are also a couple of shots of the rump of the tower. It looks like they are all taken fairly recently, certainly post 1985.

If anyone has been in the last few years perhaps they can confirm if they are still there or not.

I have some stills from the series which I will scan and post later as they show some interesting armour and equipment details.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Here is the first picture that I have from the series Masada.

I guess a caption for this could be "I think were going to need a bigger tower!!"

The series was based on a novel called 'The Antagonists' by Ernest K. Gann and was released as a shortened cinema (movie) version under that title.

Graham

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
My sister visited the site last year and her guide indicated a mound and said it was from the film and not original to the seige...if that helps? I can ask if she took any photographs if required.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hello Moi

This picture may show the origin of the mound you mention.

I guess a caption would be "I think we are going to need a bigger ramp!"

Graham.

Another scene from Masada AKA The Antagonists.

This details shows a variety of equipment including the Centurion's helmet with a central front to back crest and side plumes.

Graham.

This scene shows the armour used by the Zealots. It is supposedly found amongst the Herodian stores.

Graham.

Falco, played by David Warner with his mercenary bodyguard. In the background you can just make out one of the Tribunes with a helmet.

The bodyguard appear to be Germanic although I don't think that it is mentioned that they are. One appears to be holding a francisca and they all wear ridge type helmets.

Graham.

Quote:The bodyguard appear to be Germanic although I don't think that it is mentioned that they are.
Totally unnecessary, as they have immensely long blond hair and are dressed in furry stuff. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
In the book, they are described as Germans. The costume department at least paid attention that much.

One does have to remember that the mini-series Masada was based on the novel, The Antagonists by Ernest K. Gann (I have it and had it well before they made the mini-series), as one can see from the stills provided above. The mini-series filled in some of the pre-Masada stuff to give it some context. I have two VHS tapes of the mini-series recorded from the original broadcast. One is of better quality but missing the "maggots and mutiny" first hour of Part 3, because they started earlier that evening. The other tape is of poorer quality but contains every minute. Both friends who made them for me, were careful not to include the TV ads.

Three of us from Legio III Cyrenaica participated in a lecture by an archaeologist who had participated in digs at Masada. We provided examples (3 variations of armor and helmets) of the appearance of leginary soldiers of the roughly Flavian era). She was a leader of a dig concentrating on the two large half-legion camps. They were looking for Silva's headquarters, which they identified in one of the camps. She spoke about the layout of the tent rows with the stone rubble walls and benches presumed to be for the soldiers to sit/sleep on. It was all accompanied by a slide presentation. She included in the slides a section cut into the ramps showing its timber internal structure. It was all facinating for my two fellow legionaries who knew very little about Masada or the assault on it.

An interesting note: While she was talking about the arms and armor of the Roman legionary, with Andy as her example, she remarked that the "apron" straps hanging from his belt were to protect his lower abdomine. Andy, then disagreed with her by pointing out how easily they move, separately, and finished with a challenge to anyone to put on his belt and let him take a swing or stab at them with his gladius. Of course no one took him up and the speaker chose to keep to her opinion.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quote:Three of us from Legio III Cyrenaica participated in a lecture by an archaeologist who had participated in digs at Masada. We provided examples (3 variations of armor and helmets) of the appearance of leginary soldiers of the roughly Flavian era). She was a leader of a dig concentrating on the two large half-legion camps. They were looking for Silva's headquarters, which they identified in one of the camps. She spoke about the layout of the tent rows with the stone rubble walls and benches presumed to be for the soldiers to sit/sleep on. It was all accompanied by a slide presentation. She included in the slides a section cut into the ramps showing its timber internal structure. It was all facinating for my two fellow legionaries who knew very little about Masada or the assault on it.
Jodi Magness?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:In the book, they are described as Germans. The costume department at least paid attention that much.
Did they? The book actually described them as 'long-haired' and 'fur-clad'? :whistle:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Duncan,
Yes, indeed, it was Jodi. I went back and checked the announcement on our legion's yahoo group. She was thrilled to have us at the lecture, as was the College and audience. It was at Assumption College in Worcester, Massachusetts in October 2011.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
THERMAE ROMAE trailer, 2012.

This is a movie based on a Japanese manga/anime series about an imperial Roman architect charged with designing a new bath house for Rome. Stuck for inspiration, he stumbles across an underwater passage leading to present-day Japan - where he finds solutions in the form of modern Japanese bathing culture.

It's, uh, an interesting concept, especially since we often only think of Turkish baths as a modern parallel to the Roman versions...
Japanese actors in Roman costumes! That's cool! Big Grin i had seen the manga and it looks crazy. It seems that it has been filmed in the same studios than HBO Rome.
Eduardo Vázquez
Talk about Hollywood Romans ...

I'll have to find this film -- Time travel, ancient Rome, Modern Japan ... What's not to like?

Thanks!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most realistic movie depictions of ancient warfare Calvo 14 18,746 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  Subforum for movie reviews in off topic? jkaler48 3 7,165 10-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Section in the recreational area for Roman era movie reviews jkaler48 4 7,635 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius