Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
leather cuirass
Welcome. There´s something "fresher" as well, but I´ll have to check.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Geez guys, use some flipp'n common sense. If you have the book at home, type a few lines from it where it's relevant. Is that too much to ask from any of you? If it's an article you read yester-year then say so. Otherwise posting sources has a lot less impact, especially if it is only accessible to you scholarly types.

And no, I'm not asking anyone to infringe on any copyrights, I would have thought that at least went without saying... :evil:

Legion: TBD
I use mainly cards (or a database) each of which has a certain topic on it, and then lists the reference. To do as you like would require me to go to the library every time, or to order the books through inter-library-loan rather often, which would severely delay any responses.
Christian K.

Fair enough, but when you quote harder to get texts or articles like that, the average person has no idea what you're refering to, other than a book title, author and page. So while I'm sure that reference is great, it has no impact on a given topic since only one person can access it.

Matt,

With respect, I find Christian's references useful as startpoints for further research, and am grateful for them. A discussion on academic referencing may hold value, but I think would be better in separate thread.

Thanks.
Tim Edwards
Leg II Avg (UK)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiiavg.org.uk">http://www.legiiavg.org.uk
<a class="postlink" href="http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com">http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com
It's a small digression. And my point stands, posting a reference that most people do not have access to counts for little, but can be fixed by a few lines from the source. Again, not asking for much. More of a courtesy. If it's too much to ask of people, then WOW! :roll:

I would agree with Matt; as a courtesy to other members, one should say or quote the point being made, rather than just refer to an obscure reference which will certainly not be available to everyone ( irritating when you don't/can't know what is being discussed). Then give your reference, so that those interested enough can look up the point/read further into it, without having to hunt through a whole book/online text....

e.g. "...Colour rarely survives on leather shoes but many were probably left their natural colour. Colour paintings show red and black coloured footwear and some examples of boots dyed with purple from the murex have been found.." ( P.210 "Roman Military Dress": G. Sumner, The History Press 2009 ISBN 97807524 4576 2 )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Exactly! AND you provided an example...!

I agree basically, but as far as I am concerned I already have a VERY limited time to post here. This plus what I said above makes me simply to no longer post any reference in the future and to stay away from discussions that would require such. Better than being impolite or appearing to not to want to fulfill the slightest courtesy.
So, anyone looking for literature might want to use this tool in the future:
[url:3ckvs46s]http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/kvk.html[/url]
or gnomon, for Antiquity:
[url:3ckvs46s]http://www.gnomon.ku-eichstaett.de/Gnomon/Gnomon.html[/url]
Christian K.

Sadly, even the English version is in German....
But I would agree with Matt. I find that I feel totally excluded from certain threads when people start quoting referenct numbers and abbreviations that are in accessable a complete mystery to the layman...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Sadly, even the English version is in German....
Only the header... look into the fields of the search engine...
Christian K.

Paul wrote

Quote:e.g. "...Colour rarely survives on leather shoes but many were probably left their natural colour. Colour paintings show red and black coloured footwear and some examples of boots dyed with purple from the murex have been found.." ( P.210 "Roman Military Dress": G. Sumner, The History Press 2009 ISBN 97807524 4576 2 )

Well that answers Dan's question but does it prove that there were leather cuirasses???? :wink:

Actually this book was really easy to get hold of and was quite cheap too. So Matt now has no excuse not to go out and get one!

Ah.........Paul but is it a reliable source? Smile

Graham
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Gee, I met one of the authors....he was a shady character indeed! Confusedhock: :mrgreen:

Well ok. He was sitting in the shade of a tree wearing sunglasses.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Gee, I met one of the authors....he was a shady character indeed!

Well ok. He was sitting in the shade of a tree wearing sunglasses.....

And he has tried to bribe you with drink! Smile

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Exactly!! :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Romans use Leather Cuirass? Splenyi 7 2,652 09-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Splenyi