Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belt Research
Stitching is specifically for limiting stretch- I don't know about stiffening (why would one want a stiff belt?) And the question is why would stitching suggest multilaminar belts instead of simply stitching to prevent stretching of thinner leather? I know for a fact that often enough Roman belts, at least of the narrow 'Augustan' type weren't terribly thick- several of the artifact plates in my collection have rivets intact which suggest the belts they were attached to were only on the order of 2-3mm thick. I'd find it dubious to expect these were really 1-1.5mm leather folded over instead of just plain 2-3mm belts, but the stitching would certainly make sense, particularly given that a heavy sword was carried on one.

Certainly stitching could be decorative as well- the purported apron strap from Germany (now unaccounted for) has holes up each edge and an since an apron strap hardly carries enough weight or is under enough other stress to really require it to prevent stretching, the stiching would seem to be decorative. On belts, however, if one goes by the sculptural evidence, stitching doesn't seem to be visible if plates are present, nor do belts appear any wider than the plates themselves...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Stitching is specifically for limiting stretch- I don't know about stiffening (why would one want a stiff belt?) And the question is why would stitching suggest multilaminar belts instead of simply stitching to prevent stretching of thinner leather? I know for a fact that often enough Roman belts, at least of the narrow 'Augustan' type weren't terribly thick- several of the artifact plates in my collection have rivets intact which suggest the belts they were attached to were only on the order of 2-3mm thick. I'd find it dubious to expect these were really 1-1.5mm leather folded over instead of just plain 2-3mm belts, but the stitching would certainly make sense, particularly given that a heavy sword was carried on one.

Certainly stitching could be decorative as well- the purported apron strap from Germany (now unaccounted for) has holes up each edge and an since an apron strap hardly carries enough weight or is under enough other stress to really require it to prevent stretching, the stiching would seem to be decorative. On belts, however, if one goes by the sculptural evidence, stitching doesn't seem to be visible if plates are present, nor do belts appear any wider than the plates themselves...

The stiffening would prevent stretching...........when you hang the heavy sword on the belt! :mrgreen:

Basically that is what I am refering to..but it was a side effect of sewing thin leather to make a scabbard. That and/or the dye I used anyway.
I found that hanging the sword directly onto the belt aka the ceasarian hispaniensis or a mainz, the leather tends to sag and stretch on an unstitched and undyed belt.
But I will find out soon enough if the stitching changes that,
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Quite, I think, since we have no evidence for plated belts for this period.

Wow, I didn't know that. When did belt plates come into play then?

Legion: TBD
What period were the numantian plates?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Numantine wars. However, not all of these objects are necessarily belt plates... it is not very probable that the numantine belt plates covered whole belts, rather that there were a few belts which had a few plates, and this ...rather in the context of socii
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.