Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English were Scythians!!!
I copied this from another forum I read. Seems the fellow is saying that the Scythians migrated(well some) to England.

"Bede clearly mentions a migration from Scythia to Britian, for example you can read here: Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation, BOOK I, CHAPTER I, about Picts he says:

... the nation of the Picts, from Scythia, as is reported, putting to sea, in a few long ships, were driven by the winds beyond the shores of Britain, and arrived on the northern coast of Ireland ..."

Any comments to liven up my evening.
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
The Picts aren't and never were the English!

Paul
Paul Mortimer
After all the centuries of no written history in what's now UK, it's hard to know some things with clarity. One thing is clear, though, there were a number of fiercely "anti-anybody who isn't us" tribes and cultures on those islands. They'd go to war over something as casually stated as "The Picts were English", or the "Dunmonii were Iceni". Semi-safe to say they all knew who they were, and their spoken histories no doubt told of their own origins, with a healthy dose of legends and myths thrown in to keep the kids awake on long story telling nights. Nobody left knows very much of that cultural history, though. Now it's all archeology and DNA tracings. Doesn't give detail about their languages or customs.

Sad to realize how much history has been irrevocably lost or destroyed all over the world, not just in modern times, but ancient times. I guess they weren't thinking far enough ahead? Or maybe they didn't want anyone to remember, sometimes.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, if thay had accepted the benevolence of the Pax Romanus, without being so stubornly silly about the whole thing, they could have written it down eventually.... :? |
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well I guess it is marginally better than the "Lost tribe of Israel" idea. :roll:
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)