Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman forks...
A while back someone had put up pictures from a museum showing two pronged roman forks. I've searched and searched but can't find it. Can anyone help?

Legion: TBD
Don't have pics (sorry- museum doesn't allow photos) ) but saw some Roman oyster forks in Vindolanda on Saturday. Small, two pronged.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:A while back someone had put up pictures from a museum showing two pronged roman forks.
Was it maybe this post: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=110335#p110335

Or is link edited by moderator due to violation of forum rule #4 any help?
[Image: d5119711l.jpg]
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Is that fork handles or four candles? :wink:
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:
Magnus:1zcsokmg Wrote:A while back someone had put up pictures from a museum showing two pronged roman forks.
Was it maybe this post: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=110335#p110335

THAT's the thread I was looking for...WTH??? I searched for forks and got nothing...lol. Thanks!

Quote:I searched for forks and got nothing...lol. Thanks!
I'm here to help (and violate a few rules along the way, apparently Confusedhock: ).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:THAT's the thread I was looking for...WTH??? I searched for forks and got nothing...lol. Thanks!

Don't you mean 'What The Fork'?! LOL
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
You also have the fork in the Roman leatherman multi-tool!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That's right- I remember seeing that and chuckling as I'd heard fairly shortly before that the fork was a medieval invention...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
From what I've read, forks go back much further than Rome. Aaron's sons used forks to improperly take meats from the pot, back in Exodus days.

I think the issue is more "for what reason and how were forks used" than "did they have forks". Forks weren't routinely used at table like we use them: that is, they were for special foods, like, say, snails in the shell. Mostly, iirc, Roman foods were made bite-sized in the kitchen, and eaten with the fingers. Liquids were drunk from small bowl/cups or with spoons.

As for their shape, well, any smith can tell you a two pronged fork is twenty times easier to make than a three pronged fork. Not to say that ease of manufacture had much to do with finished products, of course.

Thos. Beckett is sometimes credited with introducing the fork to the table as a regular feature, but that's probably just legend. A knife and spoon were standard by his day, and people had long since moved to chairs or benches instead of reclining to eat.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Welll, the Greeks seemed to favout soup cauldron Kratirs? correct my wording for that, for drinking wine from...... Tongue
I just bought a smaller hand painted one while in Athens.......nice piece.... Big Grin sorry the mention of drink threw me off topic there !
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well it's a Greek word so any Latin alphabet writing is 'speculative' in a way LOL I've always seen it as Krater myself.

But indeed Dave's right, forks do seem 'specialized' tools and not the norm that we consider them- fingers do just fine for most anything save what they're unable to reach, hence the use of forks for snails, etc.
Yes, they seem to be used specifically for a lot of ocean dwelling creatures. Even then, I'll be using mine for regular food. There's nothing worse than eating with your fingers after 36 hours of living outside... :lol:

Totally true, Magnus. And for some reason, down here, we don't have servants who will come by on request with a clean cloth and a bowl of rosewater to clean the sauce off our fingers. Gotta work on getting some of those. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.