Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calceus from egypt
Caballo PB wrote:

Quote:I think this refers to the Qasr Ibrim Roman finds- slightly confusingly shown in the British Museum Egyptian section under Meroitic. No photos available at the moment, but I'm trying to organise a photo of these and the other finds (notably fletched arrows) and will report back.

I do have more pictures of the Qasr Ibrim finds and more details to publish in the latest book I am working on at the moment. It is due out next year. However I do not know if anything is specifically published about the shoes from this site as I have looked many times in the past. I think the best bet for details about shoes of this type would be the Saalburg finds and there are also reconstruction drawings of those too. Martin has provided an exellent Bibliography above which should be a great help.

It is not surprising that finds from a Meroitic period site are displayed in that section in the British Museum. What is more surprising is that most Roman historians / re-enactors etc...fail to look for anything Roman in there.

There does appear to be a culture, especially in Britain to view the Roman period as beginning in 55BC and ending in 410AD with the Roman empire stretching only as far away as Germany, ignoring anything which might have 'Coptic' or 'Byzantine' in the title because they are nothing to do with the Roman period or forgetting the other nine tenths of the empire! You only have to look at the latest Osprey title on Roman cavalry to see an example of this or the usual absence of the Fayum portraits in books on Roman art!

Most of the material I found relating to Roman tunics and clothing was not in the standard Roman books, journals, Museums or Internet sites!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Calceus from egypt - by Dean Cunningham metalsmit - 04-03-2005, 05:57 PM
book on Roman shoe finds - by richard - 04-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Re: book on Roman shoe finds - by Carlton Bach - 04-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Great book! - by Neuraleanus - 04-08-2005, 03:47 AM
name - by ursinius - 03-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Re: book on Roman shoe finds - by Martin Moser - 03-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Re: Calceus from egypt - by Caballo - 03-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Qasr Ibrim - by Graham Sumner - 03-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Re: Calceus from egypt - by Tarbicus - 03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Re: Calceus from egypt - by Caballo - 03-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Re: Calceus from egypt - by Crispianus - 09-17-2014, 10:34 AM