Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calceus from egypt
I've heard about and seen pics of a calceus found in Egypt and also heard stirrings a few years back of some found in Germany (?)Mainz(?) and am wondering where if anyplace these were published? Or if there are more pictures than I have been able to find which is one from sumners osprey book Roman military clothing (1). The calcei is in the British museum according to his book.<br>
<br>
Dean<br>
<p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
I'd like to see pics of the ones found in Egypt myself... Big Grin
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
I understood Caroline Van Driel Murray was working on a comprehensive book on all shoe finds, but not heard much in the past years.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:I understood Caroline Van Driel Murray was working on a comprehensive book on all shoe finds, but not heard much in the past years.

She did the Roman chapter in 'Stepping through Time' - an excellent book - which has pretty much all the shoe finds from northwestern Europe. Very interesting reading.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Get "Stepping through time" just for the single chapther on roman foot wear. Caroline Van Driel Murray gives a very nice catalog of roman stitches and shows some stitching on caligae that I hadn't seen before. She presents a very nice description of both caligae and calcei.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Her name is Carol, not Caroline. A lot of shoe finds of egypt are noot published like Casr Ibrim. But check also for finds of Mons Claudianus...
a.k.a. Sebastiaan. "Timeo Danaos et doughnuts edentes" ;-)
Quote:She (Carol van Driel-Murray) did the Roman chapter in 'Stepping through Time' - an excellent book - which has pretty much all the shoe finds from northwestern Europe. Very interesting reading.

It is indeed, probably the best overview at the moment, but not enough by far if you want to get really detailed information. Also there are a few minor inaccuracies. You can't do with a single book if you want to get a good level of knowledge on roman shoes IMHO.

About the original question, of the Qasr Ibrim find I have only seen a picture of the boot somewhere once (can't find it at the moment). I'm still looking for a bibliographical reference ...

Here's what I am using at the moment for information on roman shoes (the list is still growing :-)

Busch, Anna Lisa: Die römerzeitlichen Schuh- und Lederfunde der Kastelle Saalburg, Zugmantel and Kleiner Feldberg. Saalburg Jahrbuch 22, 1965.

Driel-Murray, C. van: 'Shoes in perspective', in Unz, C. (ed.) 1986: Studien zu den Militärgrenzen Roms III, Stuttgart, 139-45

Driel-Murray, C. van and Gechter, M.: 'Funde aus der Fabrika der legio I Minervia aus Bonner Berg', Rheinische Ausgrabungen 23, 1983, 1-83

Driel-Murray, C. van: Das Ostkastell von Welzheim, Rems-Murr-Kreis. Die römischen Lederfunde. Stuttgart: 1998

Driel-Murray, C. van: Romeinse leervonstenuit Vechten. Westerheem/29. 1980. 349-355.

Driel-Murray, C. van: Dead Men's Shoes. in Schlüter, Wolfgang. Rom, Germanien und die Ausgrabungen von Kalkriese. 1999. 169-191.

Driel-Murray, C. van: Römisches Schuhwerk. in Ludwig Wamser (Hg.). Die Römer zwischen Alpen und Nordmeer. Mainz 2000. 150-154

Driel-Murray, C. van, John Peter Wild et al.: Vindolanda. Research Reports, New Series. Vol. III The Early Wooden Forts. 1993

Driel-Murray, C. van: Footwear in the North-Western Provinces of the Roman Empire. in Goubitz/Van Driel-Murray/Groenman-van Wateringe: Stepping Through Time. Archeological Footwear from Prehistoric Times until 1800, Zwolle 2001.

Driel-Murray, C. van: The Leatherwork from the Fort. in Cool, H.E.M. and Philo, C.: Roman Castleford Excavations 1974-85. Volume I: The Small Finds, Yorkshire Archaeology 4, Wakefield 1998. 285-303

Gansser-Burckhardt, A.: Das Leder und seine Verarbeitung im römischen Legionslager Vindonissa, Basel 1942

Göpfrich, Jutta: Römische Lederfunde aus Mainz. Offenbach: 1991

Goldman, Norma: Roman Footwear in Judith Lynn Sebesta, The world of Roman costume. Madison, Wis. 1994. 101-129

Groenman-van Waateringe, W.: Romeins lederwerk uit Valkenburg Z.H., Groningen 1967
I think this refers to the Qasr Ibrim Roman finds- slightly confusingly shown in the British Museum Egyptian section under Meroitic. No photos available at the moment, but I'm trying to organise a photo of these and the other finds (notably fletched arrows) and will report back.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Caballo PB wrote:

Quote:I think this refers to the Qasr Ibrim Roman finds- slightly confusingly shown in the British Museum Egyptian section under Meroitic. No photos available at the moment, but I'm trying to organise a photo of these and the other finds (notably fletched arrows) and will report back.

I do have more pictures of the Qasr Ibrim finds and more details to publish in the latest book I am working on at the moment. It is due out next year. However I do not know if anything is specifically published about the shoes from this site as I have looked many times in the past. I think the best bet for details about shoes of this type would be the Saalburg finds and there are also reconstruction drawings of those too. Martin has provided an exellent Bibliography above which should be a great help.

It is not surprising that finds from a Meroitic period site are displayed in that section in the British Museum. What is more surprising is that most Roman historians / re-enactors etc...fail to look for anything Roman in there.

There does appear to be a culture, especially in Britain to view the Roman period as beginning in 55BC and ending in 410AD with the Roman empire stretching only as far away as Germany, ignoring anything which might have 'Coptic' or 'Byzantine' in the title because they are nothing to do with the Roman period or forgetting the other nine tenths of the empire! You only have to look at the latest Osprey title on Roman cavalry to see an example of this or the usual absence of the Fayum portraits in books on Roman art!

Most of the material I found relating to Roman tunics and clothing was not in the standard Roman books, journals, Museums or Internet sites!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:I think this refers to the Qasr Ibrim Roman finds- slightly confusingly shown in the British Museum Egyptian section under Meroitic. No photos available at the moment, but I'm trying to organise a photo of these and the other finds (notably fletched arrows) and will report back.

That explains why I didn't see much yesterday when I was there. I'll be going there again tomorrow or Monday, and I'll have a good root around the Egyptian section, and take pictures.

Quote:Caballo PB wrote:
It is not surprising that finds from a Meroitic period site are displayed in that section in the British Museum. What is more surprising is that most Roman historians / re-enactors etc...fail to look for anything Roman in there.

Most of the material I found relating to Roman tunics and clothing was not in the standard Roman books, journals, Museums or Internet sites!

Graham, can you help me narrow down the search, and perhaps point me to particular rooms? It's a big place and any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

My mate who I met there yesterday is convinced Greek sculptors couldn't do arms or legs, and he wants to track down the infamous nose-thief of antiquity :roll: "One day they'll find a grave, and the body will be surrounded by marble noses..."
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus wrote:-"can you help me narrow down the search, and perhaps point me to particular rooms? It's a big place and any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated."

The Qasr Ibrahim Roman finds are in Room 65, Meroitic Period. The arrows (which I am particularly interested in) are EA71840, EA71841, and EA 71845. EA71840 is particularly rare given the survival of the fletchings. Also interesting are the caligae/ calcei. Lots of Coptic tunics up there as well-Grahm is quite right in his comments!

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
A large number of Caliga and Calcai have now been published in:

http://www.sidestone.com/library/catalog...seum-cairo

It should be stressed this is catalogue which includes many details, I believe a detailed study of the Roman footware from Qasr Ibrim may be in the works from André J. Veldmeijer.

The PDFs of the entire series of leather books from Sidestone are well worth buying, they work well in Foxit pdf reader and are good quality overall so support the project and buy the ebooks ;-)

My Recommenation A+++++ Confusedmile:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Excellent, thanks for sharing! I had the pleasure to have both Andre and Salima visiting me some 2 or 3 months ago, when they were in the last stages of editing this one I believe.
Andre is indeed working on the Roman part of Qasr Ibrim, no date when it will be published though yet. The part on the Ottoman period finds is out already for those interested (cf. http://www.sidestone.com/library/leather...qasr-ibrim).