Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renaming Livius.Org (a bit)
The official name of my website is "Livius. Articles on Ancient History". The name "Livius" is fixed; the second element, however, has recently become problematic.

Let me explain. As some of you will know, I work for a private school, which is also called Livius. The website is part of the way we present ourselves; we may not be a university, but we are serious about bringing the results of scholarship to a great number of people.

Pretty soon, the school will have a logo and a common design for things like envelops, flyers, posters, and so on. This design will consist of one word, "Livius", which will be followed by a second word: "teaching", "travel", "photography", "books", and finally - "web articles on ancient history". But that's four words, and that's way too long.

I have proposed "Livius Encyclopedia", which is (changing one letter) also in Dutch a possibility. However, there was some nagging doubt, and my friend Bill explained what it was: "encyclopedia" sounds flat and pedantic.

But I do not know an alternative. "Articles", "pieces", "catalog", and "website" all have obvious disadvantages. "Reference" sounds a bit plain, but not pedantic, or so I think - but I am not a native speaker.

Perhaps I am forced to settle for "encyclopedia", but I still hope someone has a clever idea.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
How about 'Compendium' ?

There's an implication of summarising, but in a very learned way! Plus it's latin, and a little more evocative than 'encyclopedia'...

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Stuff? :wink:
But seriously, why not Livius - History? Yes, it may suggest you're discussing the history of the site/company, or of the ancient author, but anyone will see in a sec what the site is about, and it IS about history.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I second that :wink:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Livius Historia?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I would keep it simple and descriptive. Does it have to be a one word description? If so, I don't think Encyclopedia is too bad. If you can use more words, maybe "Ancient History" or something similar.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
In you system of naming the second word expresses a function or object -- "teaching" "travel" "book" etc.

So how about Livius - On-Line

I know, I know, it is two words by through common usage we think of it as a single word and it expresses both a function and a place.

Just a thought.

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:So how about Livius - On-Line
We may have found the winner of this contest. Somebody sent me an e-mail this afternoon with the same idea, and I like it very much; my business partner seems to be pleased as well, but the main test is of course what his wife thinks of it. That's not a joke, she has some kind of sixth sense for these things.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website