Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek helmets galore
Quote: Similar, but I don't think that's it, unless your photos were pre-restoration, as its got long cheek pieces as well. RH

Is your reference Dintsis Pl. 57, 4?
That's the same helmet, trust me.

As I said earlier, there are only two examples of this particular type preserved, the helmet from Vergina and this one from Canosa. Depictions are on coins of Orthagoreia.

Quote:I think you were searching for this helmet?
Khaire Giannis

Yes, that's the one from Marvinci, now in Skopje.
Jörg
Could be the same, see attachment. You haven't omitted Christie's NY, 2006 of the same type either I suppose?

RH
R. Hixenbaugh

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Quote:Could be the same, see attachment. You haven't omitted Christie's NY, 2006 of the same type either I suppose?

RH

I think it's the same, but do you have more images of this one?

The mentioned helmet from Christie's is a forgery.
Jörg
Quite heavily restored yes, forgery, I don't think so, but it is worth further consideration, did you handle it in person?

I may have some other photos of this Taranto piece around, Have you got any good, color images of Kegels with crests, etc.

RH
R. Hixenbaugh

But everything from the art market is forgery, didn't you know that? :wink:

I have some images of the two kegels ex Guttmann, but apparently you have the book "Frühgriechische Bronzehelme".
Better images from the horned kegel from Ordona you find in: M. Egg, Italische Helme (1986).
I have photographed all images depicting greek helmets from the old Lipperheide book, there are some kegels, too.
Jörg
We've got all of this, and all of Kunze's kegel's from Olympia, its clear color images of some of these early published pieces we need, perhaps some of these kegel helmets were lost in the war?

RH
R. Hixenbaugh

Well, you have to ask the museum for photographs then!

PS: who is "we"?
Jörg
Quote:As I said earlier, there are only two examples of this particular type preserved, the helmet from Vergina and this one from Canosa. Depictions are on coins of Orthagoreia.

Isn't it three with the Marvinci example? BTW, that picture of the Marvinci example is of a facsimile, and not the original helmet.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:
The Oracle:21tr4iz1 Wrote:Isn't it three with the Marvinci example? BTW, that picture of the Marvinci example is of a facsimile, and not the original helmet.

I think there's a visor missing.
Jörg
Quote:I think there's a visor missing.

Well, it might have had a small visor, but that area is corroded. But even so, the Vergina helmet doesn't have one either!
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Sure, but a typological detail motivates me to reconstruct a visor on the Marvinci-helmet.
Jörg
Quote:Sure, but a typological detail motivates me to reconstruct a visor on the Marvinci-helmet.

But you just argued that the Marvinci helmet shouldn't be included in the group because it didn't have a visor.... And if studying Hellenistic helmets has taught me anything, it is that there was so much mixing and matching going on with different elements that we can't rely on typologies to reconstruct missing portions of helmets.
Ruben

I agree with Ruben, I see no reason to get too hung up on the visor issue, when each example is unique, apart from the Melian Attic helmets which look to be of similar workmanship. These helmets were made in different workshops for different clientele, some wanted visors, some wanted crests. The fact that they are made of iron has ensured that very few have been able to survive underground to the present day. Which gives us a very skewed view of their production in antiquity.

Furthermore, find spots and archaeological context are really of little consequence when discussing ancient Greek helmets, as the place where they finally came to rest in antiquity tells us very little about where, when, and for whom they were made since they were passed on as heirloom objects, taken as booty in war, dedicated at distant sanctuaries, and otherwise exchanged far beyond their place (and time) of manufacture.

Randall
R. Hixenbaugh

Quote:Furthermore, find spots and archaeological context are really of little consequence when discussing ancient Greek helmets, as the place where they finally came to rest in antiquity tells us very little about where, when, and for whom they were made since they were passed on as heirloom objects, taken as booty in war, dedicated at distant sanctuaries, and otherwise exchanged far beyond their place (and time) of manufacture.

I'd really have to disagree with you here. As with any artefact, the findspot and date is central to the understanding of its context. Helmets, like many types of objects, were moved around a lot and could be used for some time, but where they are found and in what context tells us a lot about them. For instance, we know that Attic helmets are almost exclusively employed in Greece and the Hellenistic east between the end of the fourth and the first century BC. If you find such a helmet in, say, Sicily, it would tell us something very important about trade and the desirability of such helmets.

To take a non-Greek example, in the last two centuries BC or so the Montefortino helmet becomes the most popular helmet among the early Sarmatians living in the northern littoral of the Black Sea. We find these helmets far away from their original area of production, but comparisons with contemporary Italian examples in the details of their production tells us a lot about Roman contacts with the region and the popularity of such helms and their desirability, as well as allowing us to use a whole different set of data (Sarmatian material culture) to date them.
Ruben

Quote:But you just argued that the Marvinci helmet shouldn't be included in the group because it didn't have a visor.... And if studying Hellenistic helmets has taught me anything, it is that there was so much mixing and matching going on with different elements that we can't rely on typologies to reconstruct missing portions of helmets.

Only better photos of the helmet will solve the visor issue, it's just my preliminary opinion that there's a visor missing.

Quote:Furthermore, find spots and archaeological context are really of little consequence when discussing ancient Greek helmets

Only an art-dealer can say something like this.
Jörg

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmets With Scales Iphitos 47 8,974 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Feinman
  Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ?? MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 44 16,208 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Last Post: The Dioskouri
  Tinning on Greek helmets Marcus Mummius 1 1,277 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr