Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek helmets galore
There are no informations about using Gorgoneia as brandings.
The best explanation for their presence is till their traditional meaning: an apotropaion, a protection- and deterrence-symbol.
Jörg
Why identify these 'busts' as gorgoneions? They look nothing like other known gorgon representations.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Here are a couple of examples with different 'busts'.....again not looking much like gorgons.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Looking much like gorgons, if you ask me ...
Jörg
Doesnt Herodotus write about pointy conical helmets in a Persian context?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Doesnt Herodotus write about pointy conical helmets in a Persian context?

The Persian helmets I have seen differ in profile from the Pilos. They are shaped like a Hershey's kiss, a bit like an onion dome, with a more complex double curve. This type of helm was common for a long time in the Near East.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Persian helmet, 500-480 BC. with the inscription "The Athenians took [this helmet] from the Medes [and dedicated it] to Zeus".
[url:v3xqtdku]http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/7135750.jpg[/url]
Peter Raftos
Ah yes i see!

TY!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:depicting warriors with upturned helmets and tell me: Wouldn't the pulled back helmet fall down backwards?
No. Not if it's the right size. Mine stays there fine.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I hadn't seen this half life size "painted" helmet from the Athenian Agora Excavations before.
See [url:y7pl04sd]http://www.agathe.gr/research?q=helmet&t=image&v=list&sort=&pid=&s=11[/url]
A little beauty. Does anyone have a date for it?
Peter Raftos
Quote:Why identify these 'busts' as gorgoneions? They look nothing like other known gorgon representations.

I agree. To me it looks like an ordinary man, not some gorgon.
Scott B.
Possibly some diety, but gorgon, no.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmets With Scales Iphitos 47 8,859 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Feinman
  Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ?? MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 44 15,944 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Last Post: The Dioskouri
  Tinning on Greek helmets Marcus Mummius 1 1,263 12-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr