Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unknown Portrait Bust
Looking around on the net for Roman portrait busts in the Vatican museums, I found the image below. It's not labelled or identified at all, and I don't even know if it's Roman. Possibly the head and upper torso are from different eras. Can anyone identify it, or guess a possible date? The hairstyle looks sort of vaguely Severan/Syrian, perhaps, or even Egyptian...

[Image: Bust.jpg]

Any ideas?

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
No clue.

The material of the head and neck certainly looks different than that of the body. Head swapping was common.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:The hairstyle looks sort of vaguely Severan/Syrian, perhaps, or even Egyptian...
Negroid, I would say.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:The material of the head and neck certainly looks different than that of the body. Head swapping was common.

Looks that way, doesn't it. I think, though, that different types of stone were often used for the head (which would have been painted anyway) and the shoulders - coloured marbles were sometimes used to do the clothing, and then left unpainted. In this case, the robe is very fine marble, which possibly took a better 'edge' for the sharp folds, while the head is possibly a softer stone, easier to model the contours of the face and details of hair. That still doesn't mean it's an original match - I believe classical busts were sometimes 'renovated' much later - Renaissance/Baroque particularly.

Jona - yeah, the hairstyle does look African - a bit like the Nubians from Egyptian art. The face, though, reminds me of the famous bust of a Flavian woman with the piled-up ringlets. It's certainly a very striking and 'characterful' piece - whether it's genuinely classical or a later restoration/interpretation, it appears to be unique. I'm surprised I've never seen a reproduction of it anywhere before!

- Nathan
Nathan Ross