Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade Between Romans and Celts
My unit has been getting a bunch of Scottish/Celtic festival gigs. In order to tie in our ancient Rome and Celtic halves, I'm working on a Celtic merchant impression. Looking at the book list, the only book I could find specifically on trade is: Neville Morley: Trade in Classical Antiquity (Cambridge University Press 2007) 132 pages.

Are there other books that address trade between Romans and Celts or at least the non-battle aspects of the two cultures or how the Celtics and Romans used aspects of each other's culture in their daily lives? I'm gleening stuff from my Celtic sourcebooks but there's got to be more out there. (Or maybe not.)

What gave me the idea is the book "Roman Woman", which is historical fiction but very well researched historical fiction written by an archaeologist. The central character is a Celtic woman who married a retired Roman soldier and they live at Vindolanda. One of the main themes in the book is how the wife deals with her Celtic heritage and adapts to the Roman culture. I think this is an interesting subject and something I haven't seen in the reenactments that I've been to so it would be a nice addition to our overall impression.
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX