Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz and Pompeii swords
Well clearly because both types of sword were double-edged, they were both suitable for slashing (probably hacking is a better word) and the long point of the Mainz and the reinforced short point of the Pompeii are both excellent for thrusting; the sheer weight of the Mainz (a proper reconstruction weighs in at around 1265g) in a short, wide blade clearly makes it a formidable hacking weapon- and the long point, still being fairly thick at the end, is obviously effective for stabbing; the Pompeii, on the other hand is rather light and narrow (a proper reconstruction is on the order of 880g), however it is nearly as thick and my research has suggested the majority, if not all, extant examples had one form of reinforced point or another, suggesting stabbing was definitely a primary function (slashing swords often have virtually no point).

The ancient writers, such as Polybius, Plutarch, Dionysius of Halicarnassus and Tacitus mention both cutting and stabbing, but the latter moreso; Polybius writes "... the Romans, having excellent points to their swords, used not to cut but to thrust... for that (the sword) of the Romans can thrust with as deadly effect as it can cut" (Histories, vi, 39.) and Dionysius of Halicarnassus writes of the Gauls raising their swords aloft whereupon the Romans would hold up their shields to protect them, then stooping and holding their swords straight out, they would strike the Gauls in the groin, piercing their sides and drive blows through their breasts into their vitals (slightly condensed but accurate 'quote') (Dionysius of Halicarnassus, 7.14.10, 18). Granted some of these are describing events prior to the advent of the Mainz, so would be describing the G. hispaniensis, which was a rather longer sword, but they still speak to Roman tactics. That being said, I would also point out the short length of the gladius (both types), made hacking at close-quarters quite possible and as much as the thrust was important, I would take from these writings that it was close-quarters combat that was the Roman hallmark, and the short swords specifically meant they could do whatever they wanted without being concerned about space.

I would consider the speed of use to be an issue too- a 50% reduction in mass, and size both, surely makes the Pompeii a much faster weapon and I would strongly suspect its reduction in size makes it a better thrusting weapon as well- conversely, I would wonder about its efficacy at chopping; it's still very thick to ward off bending, but I would certainly see a Pompeii bending long before a Mainz.

It's also vital to bear in mind that battles were surely very excited situations- training will certainly affect one's movements to a good extent, but I doubt there were many (any?) Legionaries who would not strike where and when they could.

One interesting fact I would throw into the mix here, is that there are a couple of examples a least of spathae that also have reinforced points like the Pompeii- they're basically elongated Pompeii blades; most would suggest a cavalry sword to be a slashing weapon, however the point would suggest otherwise. Plus, there are two spathae, one from Newstead that might be more 'well known', that are extremely narrow- on the order of just 30mm (!), that even if as thick as the gladii, would surely have a great bending problem if used to slash; the gladius is so short that it's protected from bending problems somewhat, but the spatha that is more than 30% longer is in far more danger of this rather dibilitating problem- considering on horseback one cannot just step on the blade to straighten it.

Matt's right that the waist doesn't add any siginficant amount of extra work to forging a sword, but the Mainz is twice the width of the Pompeii, that's where the type is rather harder to make. I've forged a number of each type and clearly the Pompeii is much easier. One must also consider the forging of the billet- the Mainz is much larger therefore requires more iron, which costs more, takes more time to work a 'blank' for and so on- at every level the Mainz is a much more expensive sword to produce. And the significant reduction in size of decoration of the scabbards- going from fully-encased in copper alloy to a discrete, much smaller, locket and chape with small intervening pieces, also very much reduced the cost of the Pompeii. I don't know if it's realy true that it was cost that motivated the changeover, but it is reasonable to suspect it. Whether it was overall cost, speed of production or, more likely, a combination of both and other factors, that's up for debate.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
That is correct David one Miles Pasus ( the term Miles refers to a soldier ) and a miles pasus is infact two steps, indeed when we consider the Roman MILE it is 1,620 yards or 1,000 miles pasus or 2,000 steps which approximates to the 1,620.

With the rear rank also staggered these guys would take their one miles pasus forward closing the gap between the front and rear ranks thus creating a solid shield wall.
Brian Stobbs
I would like to refer all to the excellent books of Miks as to the blade geometry over time. He has collected a wealth of data on actual artifacts.
Now, another thing. Six inches of point is worth every and any length of cut. To kill or mortally wound an opponent, penetration is all. A cut will more then likely not penetrate the body as deaply as a thrust. Slash someone on the ribcage and they bleed, stick them in the ribcage, they die. So, the Roman way of infighting was to thrust. Sure there were circumstances where a slash to the neck or face made sense, but on average, it was the point that did the killing if used against the torso. Also, the abdomen and mayor arteries in legs and arms are more easily reached by using the point against the limbs. Gruesome it may be, but that is what the Roman army was about, effectively killing as many as practicaly possible and selling what survived as slaves. Welcome to re-enactment and the glorification of the butchers :twisted: .
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Miles Pasus
A soldier's pace, then. Got it.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The one thing that used to puzzle me was just how did the Romans know when they had gone 1,620 yards to set up their milestones, until someone mentioned about having 20 small pebbles and transfering one from one bag to another as they counted their paces.
Therefore due to the pace of the man and the odd stumble here and there, it looks like the Roman Mile was very much an approximation but then I'm drifting off topic.
I think I should stick to what Robert mentions about thrusting and stabbing, but I just can't remember who was the Roman writer who said that 2 inches in the right place is enough.
Brian Stobbs
Quite so Brian- digressions do make later following of subjects difficult so it's best to start new threads if interesting but different subjects come up.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ah, yes, sorry, got the inches and centimeters mixed up again. Two inches penetration in the abdomen or chest cavity is enough to reach most vital organs. I'd go to three just to make sure, though :?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
That's a very interesting point (pardon the pun LOL)- I knew of the danger of a seemingly shallow puncture, but it made me think of the size of and shape of the point of the G. pompeiiensis; the well-known ex-Guttmann blade now in the Royal Armouries, Leeds, actually has an 80mm point (~3"), which fits surprisingly well with the suggested danger line and what's more, the actual shape of that sword's point (and at least one other I looked at just now), is very close to that of the G. mainzensis- just being the last 80mm of it.
Quote:The one thing that used to puzzle me was just how did the Romans know when they had gone 1,620 yards to set up their milestones, until someone mentioned about having 20 small pebbles and transfering one from one bag to another as they counted their paces.
Therefore due to the pace of the man and the odd stumble here and there, it looks like the Roman Mile was very much an approximation but then I'm drifting off topic.
I think I should stick to what Robert mentions about thrusting and stabbing, but I just can't remember who was the Roman writer who said that 2 inches in the right place is enough.
It was Vegetius I think. Of course, he also describes soldiers cutting against a pell.

I think you and the others are right that Roman legionaries probably thrust more than cut, but I think its a bit more complicated than many people make out.

The disadvantage of thrusts is that a mortally wounded man may take a long time to die and still be able to fight for that period. A cut that crippled a limb could disable an opponent much quicker. There was a good article in Spada volume 2 on the effects of wounds, although with an early modern focus.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
If we consider any military training there are indeed laid down rules as to procedure and after being a soldier for as long as any Roman might have been, I am sure indeed that Centurians would have hammered it into their men Shield Wall Shield Wall Shield Wall.
As mentioned earlier this wall could move forward or backward dependant on pressure forward or back, and each man had his Gladius pushing out from the right side of his scutum hence the old saying of right handedness and if any became wounded they would be dragged backwards to the medics and their place filled.
The whole idea was that the flanks of this long wall would ease forward around the enemy but not completely, for when the enemy becomes aware he was getting the worst of it he runs out of the gap and this is where the wings or Ala cut him down on the run.
I think the idea was that the legionary commander along with the advice of his senior Centurians would pick the best position to fight from on a battle field and so we also have the old military saying of you will stand your ground or be buried in it.
Therefore not wishing to make it sound boring it would have just been push and thrust but stay alive behind that wood wall.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:
Quote:Miles Pasus
A soldier's pace, then. Got it.
I think Philus is pulling your leg, David.

The Roman passus was a unit of measure equating to 1.48 m, a heck of a "pace" which was already two "steps" (gradûs) long. Milestones and the like use the abbreviation MP meaning mille passuum ("a thousand paces"): 1000 x 1.48 m = 1.48 km, or 1 Roman mile (0.9 statute mile).

The name for the soldier's pace should be something like gradus militaris ..., which is exactly what Vegetius (Epit. 1.9) calls it! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
jvrjenivs:2gk4u0x7 Wrote:Note that we get an cavalry spatha developed simultaneously with the pompeii
This is very interesting; is this "common knowledge" or Jurjen's own observation?

I have to admit I don't have Miks and it's already some time ago I was reading Junkelmann and B&C, but today I came across the same observation in Sumner and D'Amato - Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Just checked Miks. Without boring you all with all different types of blades, the last bladetype of the Mainz has the characteristic long sharp point but almost parallel sides. This was around in 40 to 80 ad. The first Pompeij (classic bladetype, short sharp point, like the one just about everybody lugs around) shows up around 50 ad. Miks shows the Newstead spatha (short point) is also emerging at that time, fading in as the Fontillet spatha, which in pointshape is very similar to the Mainz, which had been around since the republic, fades out. So yes, a new type of gladius (the Pompeij) was developed at the same time as a new type of spatha (var. Newstead, stays around till 200 ad) came about. Hope that helps!

Oeps, forgot the point about a mortally wounded man fighting on for any space of time. That is only true with very narrow punctures like a stilleto. People do walk or run away from a knifing, but collapse and bleed to death within a very short time. A wide (and mortal) wound like made by a swordthrust will cause extensive internal bleeding and put the victim out of the fight very quickly indeed, given the fact that with all the rigors of being engaged in battle the heartrate would be high.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I would concur with the views expressed here that for all practical purposes, the 'design philosophy' and practical use of the Mainz and Pompeii ( and earlier types too) was identical - a short 'cut-and-thrust' weapon suited to both types of close-in fighting.....punch with the scutum and slash or thrust as opportune from behind its cover, hopefully with the enemy unable to see it coming from the scutum in his face. The quotes from various ancient sources, from Polybius (3 C BC) to Vegetius ( 5 C AD), as demonstrated here, support this. Why the slight/subtle changes then? I would suggest Celer/Julian, Matt Amt and Matt Lukes have it right in suggesting lightness/cost, rather than any tactical/method-of-use change was the governing factor.

It is a truism that once a weapon, be it offensive sword or defensive shield is proven to be effective, then gradually, over time, people seek to "improve" it, usually by making it lighter, or simpler to make, or less costly in terms of money/man-hours and often all three. Surely this is the process going on here?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Indeed that makes sense to me- clearly things like the reinforced point are subtle but important improvements, and the fact that the cutting edges were never dispensed with shows they were still considered important to be sure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mainz vs Pompeii Gladius 1493541 2 2,333 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Last Post: 1493541
  Mainz vrs. Pompeii Scabbards Embossed? Repoussed? Pointer 6 3,562 11-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus
  Slashing with Mainz vs. Pompeii C Crastinus 12 3,440 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Robert