Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dyeing my subarmalis!
Howdy rangers!

Just got my padded cotton subarmalis from ARMAE:

http://www.armae.fr/Photos/Armures_et_c ... _AM911.jpg

I am planning of dyeing it because it will get rusty with my lamellar armour etc.. Do you perhaps have suggestions for the colour, please? My favourite so far would be the navy blue from this colour chart:

http://www.transmeri.fi/files/1087/Dylo ... ivarit.pdf

Thanks in advance!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
The rusty rings will stain the subarmalis dark grey in spots. Why not just dye it dark grey?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The rusty rings will stain the subarmalis dark grey in spots. Why not just dye it dark grey?

Thanks David! Wouldn`t some kind of red-brownish colour be an option then? I mean rust stains are like that colour usually...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Pure rust is reddish brown, of course. But for some reason, the color that transfers to cloth from hamata seems more blackish or dark grey. Sometimes it washes out, sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully, you'll not let your metal get rusty enough to be brown...or your centurio will give you a good caning!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
If you had spoken with me Jyrki..... :wink:
Quote:If you had spoken with me Jyrki, we can get them made in any colur (tailored to measure too!)

Hi Ade! I checked your web site and didn`t find any subarmalis there :oops: . Anyway, would a "purplish" colour be good I wonder?
David, my lamellar armour is very difficult to keep comppletely out of rust in "field conditions" :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Yeah Ade!! Wheres the pics dude..... :o o
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Anyway, would a "purplish" colour be good I wonder?

Hi

Well I certainly know of some medieval examples of padded garments which are red but a number just look off white.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
Quote:Anyway, would a "purplish" colour be good I wonder?

Hi

Well I certainly know of some medieval examples of padded garments which are red but a number just look off white.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, I thought so too, at least based on the pictorial evidence we have. My subarmalis is very bright white, perhaps I should then "tone" it down to a more off-white colour?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I have two of these (with different layers of pteruges), and believe me, the white ones soon 'dull down!' My first one is filthy with dirt from my hands, fire ash, food etc etc.
A colleague has a natural un-bleached linen version which looks very nice. Our version does not have the modern lace and eye holes, but three wooden toggles for fastening the closure.

But subjectively, even though mine is really quite dirty, at a distance it still looks white compared to the other soldier's kit!
[Image: DSCF2093a.jpg]