Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My version of a Ring ended Knife
Following on from a thread by Folkert van Wijk, where he has shown off his new knife...

here is my version of a ring ended knife.

Blade length: 7 1/2"
Overall length: 12 1/2"
material: EN47 (chrome vanadium spring steel)

[Image: ringknifeweb.jpg]

Since I would never consider trying to make an exact copy of another of my knives, there seemed no point in recreating exactly an original. Instead I used these two roman examples for inspiriation :wink:

[Image: knifeorig.jpg]
[Image: earlyroman.jpg]

I'm seeing it as a very nice kitchen knife and the ring (apart from looking cool) would serve to hang it from a nail. Obviously, it could still be used for all sorts, but the look and feel of it suggest 'kitchen use' to me.
Very nice, Dave. Got a range of time period that knife would have been used?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
From what I can remember it's something mostly seen pre-conquest (back to maybe 300BC), but dates of 1st C AD also come to mind.
very nice work. Forged?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Looks like the ring starts out as a punched-from-the-blank ring, so how did you get that nice smoothness all around the ring? Got a special swage or something?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:very nice work. Forged?

no, it's real :lol:

sorry.

Yes, all done with hammers Wink I punched the hole initially but then the shape of the ring end was mostly created with a couple of files. I tidied up the back edge of the blade with a file and left the surfaces as forged.
Quote:very nice work. Forged?
no, it's real :lol:

Excellent! :lol: :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Good job, Dave! I like your makers mark as well. Still have to get one of those to mark my knives with, but just haven't gotten around to making the design I want. I forged the original for Folkert and that type is pretty difficult because of the way the handle is shaped, being thickest at the end towards the ring. Probably would not have gone for the drop point myself, as that is a feature on later era knives which do not have ring handles, but it looks like a very well made and efficient piece of cutlery.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
cheers.

It's not quite as dropped pointed as it looks in the picture, about 4mm from highest to lowest along the spine. It actually drops a very very little more than the one in the lower example picture. If you have anby suggestions where I can find good pictures to copy from with dates and provenance, then I would be very grateful Smile
Salve! Ah, OK, I understand. No flies on this one, then!
Where did you get that makers mark made?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Verry nice indeed!!

Job well done, any more to come??
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Definitely more to come! I actually made a version of this knife earlier in the year, but I sold it before I realised that I didn't have a photo of it Cry :roll: Had to remake it to show here :lol: When I made the first one I also did a couple of seax like variations, but alas no pictures.

In terms of the all-steel knives, I have decided to make a range of kitchen knives along those lines (maybe not with rings though) for modern kitchens. I'm also hoping to spend some time making more archaological interpretations very soon. I'm off to the national Knife shows in Belgium and Holland this year, so I'm hoping to have something old with me there :wink:

Robert, my makers' mark is new this year for me. I decided to go for a pictoral mark rather than my name (my last stamp said 'Budd') so that I could start to do more historical recreations. The picture is a creation of mine based on the Uffington White Horse and my great lurcher, Saxen.
Very nice work Dave- funny, I've just been messing around making a few of these knives myself- inspired by Robert's work actually Wink These ancient styles really are esthetically-pleasing and they're quite functional even in low-carbon steel...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!