Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
roman marine
i have a question regarding the roman marines of the classis germanica. i've built myself a marine costume for reenacting but one question remains unanswered.

i'm wondering if they wore a hamata during service. i see most that most reenactors wear a hamata when they play a marine. however, i'm really asking myself if this is historically correct. i really wonder because they might sink with it...

does somebody have a clue on this one?
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
The guys on the Actium relief wear loricae; the two men from Athens don't. So I think anything goes, although I do not know whether the Mediterranean is a valid comparandum for the Classis Germanica.
[Image: actium2.jpg]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
There is an old saying in the military your's is not to reason why your only here to do or die, and if we remember an awful lot of poor marines died on the beaches of Normandy.
Brian Stobbs
I was not trying to be rude just now but I think from the military point of view most soldiers or marines would have to be kitted out in some form of armour, therefore I do think that chainmail may well have been the gear a marine would have worn I'm not sure of course on any reference to this however.
I also think there might well indeed have been tragic situations for soldiers even then, but then such is the life of a soldier in any period of time.
Brian Stobbs
tnx i'll put the hamata on then.
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders