Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman One on One
Okay so we know that the Romans wore either Maille, Segmenata, or Scale Armour, they also had a shield and a pretty nasty Gladius

So my question is:

If the romans were so good at formation and group fighting how good were they when they had to fight one on one? Say a Legionarius gets sepetated from his Cohort how does he fare against the screaming barbarian by himself?

Any got any sources/citations/incidents etc?

-Thanks
Ben.
Now we're getting off into speculation land, of course, but very likely, the soldier with the better skills, better armor and training would always win, regardless of race or national origin. Romans could hold their own, just like soldiers from anywhere who had experience. The lucky stab would win the day, though, regardless of who was on the pommel end of it.

There are a number of accounts of single combat, and there are multiple outcomes. Generally, though, the best answer would probably be "It depends."
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus from Caesar’s Gallic War (and whose names were reused and popularised in HBO’s Rome) are possible “one on one” fighters in this mold.

Quote: In that legion there were two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pullo, and L. Vorenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity. When the fight was going on most vigorously before the fortifications, Pullo, one of them, says, "Why do you hesitate, Vorenus? or what [better] opportunity of signalizing your valor do you seek? This very day shall decide our disputes." When he had uttered these words, he proceeds beyond the fortifications, and rushes on that part of the enemy which appeared the thickest. Nor does Vorenus remain within the rampart, but respecting the high opinion of all, follows close after. Then, when an inconsiderable space intervened, Pullo throws his javelin at the enemy, and pierces one of the multitude who was running up, and while the latter was wounded and slain, the enemy cover him with their shields, and all throw their weapons at the other and afford him no opportunity of retreating. The shield of Pullo is pierced and a javelin is fastened in his belt. This circumstance turns aside his scabbard and obstructs his right hand when attempting to draw his sword: the enemy crowd around him when [thus] embarrassed. His rival runs up to him and succors him in this emergency. Immediately the whole host turn from Pullo to him, supposing the other to be pierced through by the javelin. Vorenus rushes on briskly with his sword and carries on the combat hand to hand, and having slain one man, for a short time drove back the rest: while he urges on too eagerly, slipping into a hollow, he fell. To him, in his turn, when surrounded, Pullo brings relief; and both having slain a great number, retreat into the fortifications amid the highest applause. Fortune so dealt with both in this rivalry and conflict, that the one competitor was a succor and a safeguard to the other, nor could it be determined which of the two appeared worthy of being preferred to the other.

Caesar, Gallic War, V.44.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Most interesting are the single combats that were fought when a general took a Devotio. Of course there are more accounts of single combat, not to mention all the awards there were for 'the first who did...'. So they got out of order some time during a fight. Anyway, I would highly recommend you to read Ross Cowan - For the glory of Rome, a good read which is about all this.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Caesar's account of the Vorenus and Pullo scrape are really "one on many". I think that's the same thing, though, because it gets down to one-on-one-at-a-time. Nervy guys, those. I sure wouldn't want to charge into a battle line of weapon-wielding enemies by myself. I think I'd stay on the wall and throw pointy things into the mob.

There are a few accounts of single combat, as in a duel, but that really wasn't the Roman way of combat, so it would not be the norm.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Don't forget that in many periods, some legionaries were expected to fight in small groups. Whether it was velites in Polybius' day, some of the obscure types of soldiers Caesar mentions, or Late Romans who might join the light infantry to scout or lay an ambush.

And during the Republic, the usual formation wasn't shoulder to shoulder but about 6' of width per man, giving room to move about as you fought. So the skills learned for fighting in formation and for fighting as individuals or small groups might not be too different.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:Most interesting are the single combats that were fought when a general took a Devotio. Of course there are more accounts of single combat, not to mention all the awards there were for 'the first who did...'. So they got out of order some time during a fight. Anyway, I would highly recommend you to read Ross Cowan - For the glory of Rome, a good read which is about all this.

Thanks I'll see if I can get it Big Grin
Ben.