Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constantine\'s Wording
Does anyone have an idea how the Latin phrase, "IN HOC SIGNO VINCES" would have appeared in the 4th Century? I believe the Latin is correct, but how would it have looked in the 4th Century? Thanks.
Marcellus Valerius Gothicus (aka Dave Dietrich)
Can you just clarify for me - is it evidence of the phrase on standards you are after, are you sorting out the Greek/Latin descriptions of the vision, the scripts it might be written in?

One e.g.: A bronze coin of Vetranio in about AD 350 and one of Constantius II just after both minted in Siscia bear the labarum with the inscription Hoc Signo Victor Eris - which I think I'd put ‘With this sign you will be victor’, which is a slight variance from the usual Latin translation of Eusebius' Greek descripton of the vision '?? ????? ????', givinging "in this you will conquer".

Is that the sort of stuff?
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Visually how the Latin would have looked. For example, would the Latin looked something like: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES or IN.HOC.SIGNO.VINCES (with the dots actually higher) or INHOCSIGNOCVINCES (sans modern punctuation)? What I am trying to avoid is depicting the phrase in a modern version of Latin, rather than how it would have appeared in Antiquity.

I am asking because I want to put the phrase and a Chi Rho symbol on the back of my shield. Thanks again, Salvianus. Marcellus
Marcellus Valerius Gothicus (aka Dave Dietrich)
I think it's pretty open to interpretation, as I can't think of a direct model from a primary source. I would go for square or rustic capitals, and If you are sticking to that wording do something like INHOC.SIGNO.VINCES in a line or arc or
INHOC
SIGNO
VINCES
in a block, based on the labarum in the hands of Honorius in the diptych of Stilicho, circa 400A.D. (what our current labarum is based on) and on the book of Christ as a soldier, Ravenna.

Hope that's helpful Smile

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
ave Marcellus,

I've done a bit more reading on this. Prof Charles Odahl argues that in Constantine saw the inscription in his vision in Latin, Eusebius paraphrased Constantine's description when he recorded it in Greek and that by the time it was translated back into Latin it became In Hoc Vince, or In Hoc Signo Vinces, whilst Constantine's sons are likely to have used the wording direct from Constantine's mouth for their bronze coins minted at Sirmium and Sisca, specifically "Hoc Signo Victor Eris" (Constantine and the Christian empire, 2004)

Honorius' apparent use of a different words leads me to be sure any of the phrases might be used, but I hope that's of further interest Smile

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  vexillum wording Mauritius 27 7,060 09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER