Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arch of Hadrian near Beth Shean
I recall that there was an Arch of Hadrian, erected after the suppression of the revolt of Bar Kochba, in a town near Beth Shean. Does anyone know the exact location?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Does anyone know the exact location?
Confusingly, the Clauss-Slaby epigraphic database gives two locations, neither of which is Beth Shean! (And matters are not helped by the fact that they seem to use an Arabic-based version of Google Maps here and here! :roll: )

(By the way, the inscription was published as AE 1999, 1688, revised as AE 2002, 1540 and AE 2003, 1796.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I have just checked (what I believe to be) the primary English-language publication of the inscription (W. Eck, "The Bar Kokhba Revolt", JRS 89, 1999, 76-89), and he writes: "remains were found in Tel Shalem, about 12 kilometres to the south of Scythopolis", citing G. Foerster, Atiquot 17 (1985), 139-157. (The two authors (Eck & Foerster) apparently prepared a report for JRA, but I have not seen it.)

Maybe this clears up the problem a little? :|
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Maybe this clears up the problem a little? :|
Tel Shalem - that's the one, and here is a satellite photo. "Hill of Peace": I now remember the name.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Is that a Roman camp or fort directly west of the hill?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Is that a Roman camp or fort directly west of the hill?

Suggestive shape and layout, isn't it?
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch of Constantine co-opting an \'Arch of Hadrian\" richsc 11 2,760 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Hasdrubal