Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waldgirmes, new statue fragments
Waldgirmes was a Roman civil settlement, 100 kim east of the Rhine; meant to be permanent - the buildings have stone foundations - it was rapidly evacuated after the battle in the Teutoburg Forest. The remains of a gilded equestrian statue show have been found. Two parts were already known (below), but now, the horse's head has been found. And it is splendid: look here (little movie).
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Indeed very splendid, and some interesting details about the head decorations of horse gear (chamfron). Looking forward to more pictures of this find. Seems very interesting to have a better look.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Well here they are! Thanks to Janneke.

link to German article of the Waldgirmes horse statue

[Image: waldgirmes1.jpg]

[Image: waldgirmes2.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Well here they are! Thanks to Janneke.
Who is Janneke?
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:32ixktn7 Wrote:Well here they are! Thanks to Janneke.
Who is Janneke?

One of the members of Fectio:
[Image: lisse2008_16.jpg]
(I suppose you can tell which of the three must be her...)
ALA I BATAVORUM
After posting my question, I went to the kitchen to make some, coffee; thought about it; returned; and see that my guess is confirmed. I should have known, but was too concentrated on another aspect of the photo to think straight: I was thinking about the copyright, because I want that photo on my own website!! So I thought that Janneke was the copyright owner.

As usual, I was completely absorbed in my own thought. If I may compare the small to the great: I'm a bit like Thales, who was so concentrated on celestial observations, that he fell into a pit. Like this.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:As usual, I was completely absorbed in my own thought. If I may compare the small to the great: I'm a bit like Thales, who was so concentrated on celestial observations, that he fell into a pit.

Now the trick is finding a way to harness the power of that noggin. You could rule the world. :lol:
Some more informations (link to Waldgirmes website, another related find at Wetzlar-Dalheim etc.) , here:

link from old RAT
--- so let's wait for the next parts of that statue to surface. :wink:

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.