Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counting Years in imperial Rome
Ave,

I am nearing completion of a novel about the rise and fall of Flavius Hannibalianus.

I have hit a snag on events.

I have many sources from which I draw, and there seems to be a descrepency in the date of the Emperor Constantine's 30th anniversary.

Some report it as being celebrated in AD 335 and some in AD 336.

I was wondering about this.

I know that Romans, when they spoke of their annual calendar, used inclusive dates, such as the 28th of December would have been referred to as [the fifth day before the Kalends of January], (28, 29, 30, 31, and 1) as opposed to how I count days today [fourth day before the First] (29,30,31, and 1).

If a Roman did count years like they counted days, this could explain why the two reported dates differ.

Am I way off base?

Thanks again,

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Could it be that the celebrations stretched over a period we currently count as two years? T.V. Buttrey, in an article regarding the dating of the Arch of Constantine says that it is “certain” that the decennalia celebrations stretched from AD 315-6. Moreover, he says the same thing about the next big celebration: “AD 325-6, the year of Constantine’s vicennalia.”
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Ave Epictetus,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I had not thought of that. That Constantine began his 30th anniversary in 305 and ended it the following year perhaps explains the reference to the celebration in both years.

Thanks again. I don't have access to a lot of periodicals so must rely on books, some which don't cover everything (books just can't)

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Here is an even better passage:

Quote:Constantine’s tricennalia fell on 25 July 335; see Burgess 1988:81-2 and Kienast 1990:296. Constantine unusually celebrated both the beginning and the end of his twentieth and thirtieth anniversary years, that is, in 325 and 326, and 335 and 336; see Burgess 1988:79 n. 6.

Burgess, Richard and Witakowski, Witold; Studies in Eusebian and post-Eusebian chronography, page 217.

This makes sense. Constantine apparently celebrated the anniversary of the first 365 days of his reign. Since he didn't come to power on 1 January his celebrations stretched over two calendar years.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Ave Civitas,

You guys are great.

This last reply explains a lot. I do appreciate all the work you guys put into researching.

But that brings up another question: I wonder if he did order celebrations every day that would have been seen as a celebration, or was it only on the first and last days of the anniversary of his first year. Surely constant exhibitions would have been almost impossible. I wonder if decorations or placards on temples would suffice.

Thanks again.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Imperial Tile-Stamps at Rome Simplex 1 851 11-06-2020, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Numbers and Counting in the ancient world Lothia 4 1,424 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Lothia