Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Titles, positions, and duties
Ave civitas,

I am reading "Constantine and Eusebius" by Timothy Barnes.

There is a few lines that left me confused. I am hoping that someone can clarify the duties of these positions:

--- A letter which he (Constantine) wrote early in 313 reveals that Patricius, the vicarius of Africa, Anullimus, the proconsul, and Heraclides, the procurator of the imperial estates, had standing instructions to provide money to the bishop of Carthage on request - which they had received from Constantine in person. ---

Now, I know what a Vicarius is. Similar to a governor, but of a Diocese instead of a province.
I know what the procurator of the imperial estates did, managed the upkeep, record the income, and handled other matters concerning "federal" lands.
What I do not know is, What did the procurator do? Was he the military commander? Or was he something else.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
This kind of procurator may have been a finacial guy, it's probably not the same as the procurator/governor of earlier times. The procuratorwas in charge of the province's financial affairs, especially collecting the taxes.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave,

Ah, yes. That makes sense. Thanks a lot.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help on Roman army/government positions to name my team Whitestar19 3 1,638 04-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Cassius Tullius