Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information asked about firts Aelian cohort of Dacians
Hello, Since I'm new to this forum I hope my questions aren't to stupid. I would like to have more information about the I AelianCohors of Dacians. These people ware responsably for work at the horrea at Birdoswald (Hadrian's wall) in the very early third century. I would like to know if they were Auxiliary troups, as to be aspected in the forts, or legeionary. Any remarks on the equipement of early third century troups are more then welcome. E.g. is the Centurion of an auxilary unit himself an auxiliar or is he normally an legionary?<br>
All help is welcome, Thx already,<br>
Steven <p></p><i></i>
Hi Steven and welcome to the forum. Another Dutchie, guessing from your nickname? Don't be afraid to ask questions here. You can always try to use the search function to see if it has been asked before, but if not, fire away!<br>
Spaul has about 4 pages of information about this unit in his Cohors 2, mostly names of soldiers of this unit though, but some discussion on it too.<br>
As to the Cohors Aliae Dacorum, yes it was an auxiliary, milliary unit and therefore the centurions would also be auxiliary centurions. These might well have been legionary subalterns before being promoted to the centurionate in an auxiliary cohors though.<br>
I'm sure many of the other members would be glad to help you with equipment questions, which are not my personal forte.<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hello,<br>
Nice to meet you, first of all thx for the information. This confirms what I was already thinking.<br>
I've tried to look up spaul and Cohors 2 for the information he might have on this unit, but I can't seem to find it using the search function.<br>
Do you, or any body else has an idea of the number of people who were serving in this cohors and from wich union it was a part?<br>
<br>
Best regards, steven a Flamish New member <p></p><i></i>
A milliary cohort would have a paper strength of 800 troops. Paper, cause papyri have shown that many units were either understrength or even overstrength.<br>
What do you mean by part of a union? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I think he meens union as in 'part of a legion'.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
MarcusMummius <p></p><i></i>
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Try this link for some information on the unit.<br>
<br>
www.roman-britain.org/mil...oh1dac.htm<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Daniel.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
For some reason, the web site (linked in previous post) calls it the <em>cohors primae Dacorum</em>, but it should be <em>cohors prima Dacorum</em>. <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
Here is another lihnk.<br>
<br>
www.romanbritain.freeserv...uxilia.htm<br>
<br>
Paul Holder certainly calls the unit I Aelia Dacorum Milliaria, as does de la Bedoyere in 'Eagles over Britannia.<br>
<br>
Daniel. <p></p><i></i>
Thx for all the information.<br>
The links were very usefull.<br>
What I mean by a larger union is the question of two or more auxiliary units went to battle together without any intervention of a legion? Would such a thing happen regulary or is it very rare, if it happend already?<br>
If they would assist a legion, would they be under the direct command of the commander of the legion and perhaps under the different centurio of that legion or would their officer be under the control of the legion's commander?<br>
I've read that in the early third century the auxiliary infanterist would no longer have a gladius but an adaptation of a spata. Also in the third and fourth century, the legions were becomming smaller acording to the same information?Is this information correct?<br>
Sorry for the many questions but I still need to learn so much about the Roman Army<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aelian and Roman Tactics 100AD? Anonymous 15 4,662 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Last Post: ywanell