Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EIR Cohort / Century deployment
Hi all
I know there is a fair body of evidence for the way a Republican army would have fought, but is there any evidence for how an Early Imperial Roman army would deploy a legion - I'm particularly wondering whether a cohort would deploy with centuries in line abreast, or in column, or 2 centuries deep, 3 wide, that sort of thing. And did centuries deploy in any particular formation - eg. 10 men wide, 8 deep? I imagine it would vary from battle to battle, with terrain etc.

But is there any evidence for a 'standard' deployment pattern? or was it simply down to whatever the commander felt like?

Cheers,
Michael Lovejoy
Hey Michael

welcome to the forum. I have accepted the standard deployment of 10x8 though it is a personal assumption based on illustrations I have seen primarily from Osprey books. I believe other variables you mention would affect it as well.

As a variant to Michaels question- I would be interested to know of any standard deployment of archers.

Cheers
CC
Quote:As a variant to Michaels question- I would be interested to know of any standard deployment of archers.

A good start would be Adrians article on the Hamians
(And I wouldn't base to much on Ospreys. They are not always the best source)
ALA I BATAVORUM