Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
arrow tips
does anybody have information about what kind of arrow tips the romans were using?

or do you know books where i can find more about that?

tnx
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Sim's "Iron for the Eagles" has detailed how to make a couple of Roman arrowheads (and a few other weapons) including time for various stages of smithing and the amount of material required.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27004&start=0">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27004&start=0<!-- l

Here's another discussion on this basic topic.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I am going to Xanten in Germany tomorrow with precisely the intent of documenting different types of arrowheads, as my pictures last time did not turn out very well because of the type of display and the limitations to my camera. The trilobate type shown in the post linked is a very commom type in Xanten (only one found in Nijmegen), but there is also the socketed and tanged bodkin, the leafshape in various styles, the trapezium shaped in various styles and the Vindolanda type socketed bodkin which Hector Cole produces and sells. Then there is a really nasty type displayed in quantity in Xanten, socketed with large swept back bards. Still working out how these were best made, as I want to try forging some and then perhaps finding someone to produce them in quantity. First the plumbata trials, though. Think I have the original production methode for those licked!

Oh, and before I forget, in my personal opinion, the person detailing production methods of arrowheads in Iron ft Eagles knows very little about smithing and wastes iron by the wagonload.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Here is a picture I took at the Saalburg. You will notice the trilobates are of a different shape, having less nasty barbs. Also, they are a bit longer and less robust, having thinner flanges then the Xanten en Nijmegen shape. These are a bit easier to make, as they lack some filing of the bards. Bodkins (to the right) show both types, socketed and tanged.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I have a few shots from various locations around the UK, but not with me at the moment...or posibly various shots from a few locations..... :?
I'll post them when I get the chance.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
sorry for late reply but my internet broke down. tnx all for information.
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
Well, here are the shots from Xanten museum. The new museum is well worth a visit, as are the reconstucted city gate, walls and towers, amphitheater and mansio. Very difficult to focus, so not all shots are as sharp as I would have liked. Enjoy!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Glass interference..I know the score!
Thats is a fair collection of heads!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Actually, they have only two types which were found in very large numbers indeed in this display. The other one is more of a loner. Then there is one more I forgot to post:

The little cube with the number is 1 cm square.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:in my personal opinion, the person detailing production methods of arrowheads in Iron ft Eagles knows very little about smithing and wastes iron by the wagonload.

No blacksmith worth their salt wastes anything - you only have to see the inside of David Sim's workshop to realise that.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Hahaha! Yep, same here. Scraps of iron all over the place!

What I like about forging Roman stuff is to have a really good look at the originals, looking for signs of how the iron was worked to get the shape found. For instance, in the socketed biblades with the large barbs, one can see the smith started off with a sharp triangle, detached the two barbs with a chisel or a pair of pliers/sharp tongs first, so shaping the point, and then folded the lower part of the triangle into the socket. When making a lot of these, it is probable to have a narrow bar with V shaped notch cut into it (sort of a mini anvil) to start the fold. The part near the bards is the most tricky bit. Then just tap it closed and finish off on a sharp iron stake. No metal is lost in this process.
The trilobates do loose some metal in the filing of the bards, but very little, as the flanges have already been thinned in the smithing process.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
last picture, is that a spur?
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
if not, forgive my ignorance... i have never seen something like it before... Tongue
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
Quote:last picture, is that a spur?

I would say so.
ALA I BATAVORUM