Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crestbox designs
I already have a crest box with silver ornamentation and would like to make another using only paint.

My idea was to paint a Greek key the whole width and length of the box. I know that the Romans used Greek Keys in their mosaics and decorations. But I was wondering if on a helmet crestbox it would be fine.

The link below is the pattern I made. I fear it may be too Greek looking for a Roman helmet. But then again......... Any suggestions

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb24 ... G_1593.jpg

Is there a difference between a Roman style Greek Key and a Greek one.

Does anyone have any patterns that could be used on a Roman style crestbox.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Why not? Here's my crest box...I'd say a painted greek pattern on a wooden crest mount is more plausible than some of the anacronism's other groups are doing...

[Image: Centurion-Crest.jpg]

Legion: TBD
Thanks Magnus for the reply.

I agree with your statement not to mention that Romans did use many Greek based styles for their arts.

The Key it is.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I'll be polite and not comment here...... :evil: :lol: I was thinking about that too Doc!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

I have searched all sorts of Roman themes and at one point or other some Greek themes they used always show up. I think that if someone saw a movie only about Greece and its history without incorporating any Roman era information and then showed the same person pictures of Roman themes, buildings, art, etc., this person would see its Greek.

Paolo
I always called armoured soldiers with crests Romans when I was a little kid. I didn't realise I was watching a movie about ancient greeks...kind of sad considering my heritage.!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel