Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weight of Marching Pack
I always base my statement on the combat formation march I'm afraid, which would logically require the men to be in closer formation and ready to manoeuvre. Perhaps the requirement to keep in step would be relaxed if the formations were left to amble along. I think the disciplin in the Roman army would probably require the formations to keep in step and keep the required speed up.

We see in the sculptural remains men in close formation in combat, so is this a case of the evidence only being reliable if it fits the theory.......

I know people say they can form testuedo, etc with out keeping in step, but from the experience I have had, the
whole affair is more stable in step that out.
Also, if you go out of step on rough ground, getting back into step helps to make formation changes smoother too.
It's not impossible, and certainly is no less an assumption than assuming they didn't because we do it today.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
But are we sure about how much depth each rank was assigned in a Roman formation that was ready to manoeuver? The evidence seems clear about width (2 or 4 cubits per man) but I'm not sure about depth. I know that some armies add a fair bit of space between each two ranks for road marches, so stepping on the guy in front of you might not have been a concern.

I'm kind of skeptical of a typical load of 50 kg or more too, but I haven't studied the subject. Romans were taller and healthier than a lot of other people, but that's still an impressive load.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman marching weight and distance vs. moderns Anonymous 3 1,979 12-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Last Post: derek forrest