Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculum
A Plausible Eureka found!

Several weeks ago when we were at the HOME site at Eindhoven. Netherlands a member of the public prooved very interested in the medical tools. Wehn discussing the use of this particular instrument and bringing up my everpresent question of the use of the two arms he was quite adament about it; imagine the subject legs spread beïng attended to by the physician ( no pun intended) and the procedure taking some time. The natural reaction for the subject would be to attempt to bring the legs back together to avoid a cramped feeling. The extended arms serve as a spur ( or concertina wire if you so please) to ensure this doesn't happen and the physician can continue his work.
Since the man has been teaching surgury for over 30 years and the concept sounds plausible enough, I officially call the quest finalised.
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Beautiful piece of equipment !

The screw system reminded me of the Vaginal pear torture device which was used on wiches.

And since no one has said this so far, here we go...

Hello sir, what do you re-enact? well, i re-enact a gynaecologicus, would you please follow me into my tent ?

:mrgreen: :twisted:

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hi Paul,

thanks for your feedback on that question, could well be the explanation!
Awesome, I began to replicate some medical instrument but this work is extraordinary!

Martin you know the alloy used for brazing? Simple tin or silver alloy?
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Quote:Martin you know the alloy used for brazing? Simple tin or silver alloy?

Hi Marco, the parts are joined by brazing (so silver alloy), not just soldered (tin).
Thanks Martin,
I imagine that you also use silver alloy, is the best choice for this job, I use two different types of this alloy and works very well.
CIAO from Italy

Marco