Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloaks Sumner Book
Mr. Sumner,

When you refer to cloaks in your new book, are you describing a sagum or paludamentum? They are both under the broad heading of cloaks.

Therefore, for a 1st C AD reconstruction, would it be plausible to have a blue paludamentum (from woad) or would it be more "correct" to have a red paludamentum. I saw in your book that blue cloaks were mentioned that is why I am asking which of the two is being referred to.

Is there any information available as to the type of weave: daimond, fish bone.....etc. for the 1st C AD
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hello Paolo

Quote:When you refer to cloaks in your new book, are you describing a sagum or paludamentum? They are both under the broad heading of cloaks.

There are many cloaks listed under the broad heading of cloaks. As well as the sagum and paludamentum there is also the paenula, abolla and lacerna for example. If the source is clear I have tried to identify the particular type. The paenula is easy to identify some of the others are not. The paludamentum is generally worn by officers of the rank of centurion and above. This is shown on monuments and described in ancient sources as mentioned in the book. The more senior the officer the better the quality of material and dyes used. Some authors have said the paludamentum is the same shape as the sagum but with rounded lower edges. However as none have been found from this period or positively identified there is only the sculpture to work from. As illustrated in the book several times the paludamentum was generally worn over the left shoulder then draped around the body and the left arm.

Quote:Therefore, for a 1st C AD reconstruction, would it be plausible to have a blue paludamentum (from woad) or would it be more "correct" to have a red paludamentum. I saw in your book that blue cloaks were mentioned that is why I am asking which of the two is being referred to.

Where a specific colour of the paludamentum is known it is also mentioned in the book and where possible, illustrated. Sadly not always in colour which would be my ideal! Some of the Egyptian portraits appear to show a blue paludamentum but we do not know exactly what rank these men were, some are possibly centurions. However as mentioned the more senior officers appear to have worn the red to purple version. Some of the Egyptian portraits appear to be first century or perhaps Trajanic so I guess if you want to be a first century centurion I would say it is OK to wear a blue paludamentum and indeed there are also two reconstructions in the book of early imperial centurions wearing a blue paludamentum.

If you want good technical details on the weaving of cloaks, I suggest you look up three articles by H.Granger-Taylor listed in the bibliography.

Hope this helps.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thanks Mr. Sumner for the answer.

As a matter of fact, I was in the market for the kermes if not I will get cochineal dye which gives the same deep red color. However, it is good to know that blue can also be used. I was planning on using woad which can give a nice deep blue color.

When discussing senior officers, are you referring to Primus Pilus level of centurion or any centurion?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Roman Soldier (Sumner new book) Doc 16 2,914 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Iagoba
  Bracae Sumner Book Doc 6 1,966 08-13-2009, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Graham Sumner