Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zwammerdam 2nd century boots
Just thought I would show off the newest 2nd century boots. These are described as style Zwammerdam and are dated 140 - 170 AD. It's distribution is Northern provinces and Antonine Wall sites. The shoes are described by Carol van Driel-Murray in the excellent article in the book Stepping through Time.

The usual style is a shoe, but ankleboots have also been found, so I decided to have a go at both types. Smaller size shoes are also good for lady's and childeren, as most finds were for small sizes! They have been found both nailed and sewn, so I had the boots nailed and the shoes sewn.
This first prototype pair did not yet have the radiant openwork done, further pairs will, so DSC (who made them for me) has assured me. One more project for me to complete.

OT, but does anyone have good info on Roman knifescabbards (non-pugio), preferably pictures or drawings of finds. I only have one good one from Nijmegen Valkhof Museum. Please send to r.wimmers AT hotmail.com
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Those are lovely shoes, Robert.

Not being a shoe expert, it just occurred to me -- what is the reasoning behind hobnails on women's and children's shoes? Is it just that the soles are not robust enough, and would wear out without nails?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I suppose that there are two reasons the same of which are used for caligae.

One reason is to hold the upper to the sole. Stitching is not always strong enough to hold everything together. The other is, like you pointed out, the sole would not really be able to take constant walking on pavement, terrain, etc. Thus the nails are used to protect the sole by keeping it out of direct contact with the pavement. There is also the issue that the nails provide good traction especially in non paved areas. It is my understanding with calige that once the nails were worn out, the caligae were replaced not the nails.

Maybe it is found on women or children who lived, worked, or carried out activities in areas where the ground required such footwear?

Also children destroy and wear shoes out quite readily especially at the soles. When I was a kid, the sole and the edges where the sole met the upper was always were the first to go. Maybe the nails were necessary to make kids shoes last longer; running around playing, working with the father etc......
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Very nice! Ok, next question, where do I get a pair........!
Scott Goring
As I just do R&D and do not handle the trading (well, except for arrowheads and the stuff I forge, that is), I have agreed with DSC that Adrian Wink will handle the sales of these shoes for the European market, same as for the lady's shoes from Welzheim. So he will be the one to approach for any orders. I fieldtested the boots at Archeon this last weekend, they are good to wear, although I would suggest slipping in a inlay sole to create a footbed, like I did Big Grin .
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I like both versions myself, they look like a centurions boot.

I will have to look out for Peronis offering them, assuming he orders in my size.... :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
DSC is quite good on shoe sizes. They have made these with a nice wide forefoot. Just be carefull to specify the size in UK size, as there is a difference between a size 9 in the UK and the USA. I have added a conversion link here: http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Indeed DSC makes wonderful boots. I really like my new pair of Vindolanda fell boots. A wonderful addition to the available shoe range! Good job DSC and Robert.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks Robert, i always end up forgetting the conversion when it comes to making a comparison....that will help!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Doc,

Before I forget to point it out, not all of these shoes were nailed. I could well imagine the kids shoes not having nailing. For the ladies models, which are not the boots but the shoes, I could well imagine a much lighter nailing pattern then the one I had done on the boots. I would have to supply DSC with a lighter pattern, but judging by some imprints in rooftiles I recenty viewed at the Roman villa of Borg, twin rows running around the rim and small circles or little clusters or lines of nails at heel and forefoot would be good. The alternative is a single line around and a line inside that on the outside of the foot, wrapping around front and back. I really recommend Stepping through Time (by Olaf Goubitz with a great contribution on Roman footwear by Carol van Driel-Murray) as an excellent reference to nailing patterns and Roman footwear, by the way, and no, I do not get a commision on sales of that work, just want to give Carol her due for a job very well done Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert

I am aware that they were all not nailed. I was just answering the question that was posted as to what purpose the nails had relative to the sole.

Would children's boots be nailed, I too would think not but who knows out of the thousands of shoes that were produced.

You are not referring to me for the profit issue? I did not mention anything about money.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hi Doc,

No, not at all! I wasn't in any way trying to put you down, you made a very sensible comment on the nailing issue, I just wanted to add to that and provide more info on sewing and nailing. Very true the little ones wear out shoes fast.

And the remark about the commision was just general and more of a joke, to avoid someone thinking I was blatently promoting a product. I just like that book a lot, it has so much well researched data Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
The topic of nailing patterns seems interesting, Robert. (Maybe this has been covered before.) Would you say that the nailing pattern on ladies' shoes was perhaps an element of fashion? Could we perhaps picture Claudia Severa and her friend Sulpicia Lepidina at Vindolanda complimenting one another for having such nice shoe soles? Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Would you say that the nailing pattern on ladies' shoes was perhaps an element of fashion? Could we perhaps picture Claudia Severa and her friend Sulpicia Lepidina at Vindolanda complimenting one another for having such nice shoe soles?

Undoubtedly! Women and shoes eh?.... :roll:

There are some beautiful nail patterns displayed in the Museum of London - highly ornate and utilising very small headed nails.

Male reenactors compare shoes - it's like shopping - for men!
Yes, if I understand Carol correctly. In the later Roman period (early third to fourth) there was even an increasing popularity in figurative nailing. The nailing patterns are definitly a fashion thing! Leaving your mark as a fashion statement would seem to be taken very literaly here.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman boots early 3rd century Flavius Promotus 26 4,544 01-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Lucius Aurelius Metellus