Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interested in Roman Riding?
I think that last image shows the horses lying down.

Had to wait until I got home to add this picture.
[attachment=12391]1521844_780960288597846_61285768_n_2015-05-20.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Sorry...I know it is off topic but should add that by putting pressure on the horse's neck it prevents them from getting up. Helps in all sorts of situations from this to accidents particularly if you think the horse has a lower leg injury.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Glad to see this topic is still active.

Mounting the horse is sometimes part Comitatus Roman and Greek shows. This is an old video from way back when, showing Scythians mounting in various ways. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FefYfPsVpUE

And a simple article on mounting. http://comitatus.net/greekcavalry.html
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Great shots Moi. I have thought about doing WW2 cavalry..... got the right kit for it! Wink :evil:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Who are the troops in cammo with the binoculars?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Who are the troops in cammo with the binoculars?

Mongolian border guards.
Quote:Who are the troops in cammo with the binoculars?

Aussies I believe.
Moi Watson

Having very sadly lost my previous intended cavalry pony in November last year (dear little Mambo) may I please introduce the new project pony.

She has only just been retired from polo and is a little "hot" so on holiday in the hopes she calms down a little (but not too much).

My new Roman saddle design is due at the end of August (fingers crossed) so we'll be able to work towards the very delayed programme of experiments for next year all being well.
[attachment=12525]Open-Sesame_originalphoto2013.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Hi Moi

What do you think would be the best method for a cataphract to mount a horse?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Graham

Good question and one really based on practicality as we have no evidence.

There are several options:

1. Mounting block - by far the easiest and one I use myself as often as possible. Preferably the block is big enough for me to just step across the horse and sit as quietly as possible.

2. A leg up similar to jockeys getting on to race horses. Based on timing and skill/strength of the person assisting. Another easy option.

3. Get the horse to kneel. Another favoured method for a lighter rider; not sure if a horse would be strong enough to pick itself back up in armour plus a fully armed man. They probably could but not too often. Possibly something kept for the battle field or emergencies.

4. A loop on a lance or spear (but not a contos). Possibly a Greek method but perfectly feasible for the lance to be leant against the horse, foot in a loop, mount from that and then swing lance into ready position.

If you search on you tube there are lots of ways it can be done; one just has to temper it with common sense and the armour of the rider.
Moi Watson

Heliodorus speaks of the Persian cataphract being lifted into the saddle by others because of the weight of his armour (Aethiopica, 9.15) but does not go into any detail as to how this was accomplished.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I haven't contributed anything to this thread but just wanted to say that it is one of my favourites on RAT. I'm glad it is still going.

Edit: I might have something after all. Edward I was renouned for being able to vault into his saddle in full armour. His armour would have been a heavier weave of mail that covered his body from head to toe. It would have weighed as much as cataphract armour. But he was pretty tall; it would be harder for someone of average height to do the same trick.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Heliodorus speaks of the Persian cataphract being lifted into the saddle by others because of the weight of his armour (Aethiopica, 9.15) but does not go into any detail as to how this was accomplished.

I spend some idle hours reviewing excavation reports from known cavalry forts hoping to see some evidence of an unidentified trench beside a a wall that could possibly be a system for mounting Smile No luck so far but I'll keep checking.
Moi Watson

Quote:Edward I was renouned for being able to vault into his saddle in full armour. His armour would have been a heavier weave of mail that covered his body from head to toe. It would have weighed as much as cataphract armour. But he was pretty tall; it would be harder for someone of average height to do the same trick.
Members with long memories may recall the distinction that I draw between clibanarii and catafractarii, the former being based on the Persian cataphract and the latter, perhaps, more akin to the Edward I model. Weight aside, the nature of the armour of the clibanarius may have meant that he required more help in mounting.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is anyone interested in Roman Renacting in Arizona Palmerius2002 13 2,725 08-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Palmerius2002
  Had a go at Roman riding :D (pics included) Et tu brute 40 7,884 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Et tu brute