Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interested in Roman Riding?
Hahahahaha! Too bad your horse didn't show up that day, but I must say you look very well on a wooden dromedarius. The good thing is, it won't throw you!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
A camel is a horse designed by committee.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Hahahahaha! Too bad your horse didn't show up that day, but I must say you look very well on a wooden dromedarius. The good thing is, it won't throw you!

Ouch! :mrgreen:
Andreas Baede
Jurjen did an excellent job on that horse armour, by the way! I must say I really admire his endevour and determininaton to elevate Roman riding to a new high.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Today, it’s exactly a year ago a dream, which was just a dream started to become real.

My first thoughts about doing some Roman Cavalryman I had in 2003 or 2004, but they only became serious when in 2007 I was asked to reconstruct the Kops Plateau masked helmets for Stichting Romeinenfestival. After some more years of doing research, reading books and more research I was invited by Mr. John Conyard, of Comitatus, to come over, try the Roman saddle and join one of their events at Sewerby Hall.

So, today it’s a year ago I finally could take the plane to York and ge tinto the saddle. It was my first time in a Roman saddle, and to be honest my first real experience on horseback. I had been in the saddle a couple of times, but always with someone walking next to me and only for a moment. I’m still very gratefull to John, Catherine, Amy and Claire for the wonderful week that followed and had an awesome finish at Sewerby, where I was also introduced with the Comitatus show ‘behind the scenes’. It was a wonderful week, which was certainly one of my highlights of 2010.

That was a year ago. Time goes fast, but it was also a year full of developments. When I got home from the Comitatus trip I couldn’t wait till I would receive my own Roman saddle, get on horseback again and get things going. But well, without a horse, any riding experience, etc that’s rather hard.
Sometime these days I however got in contact with Olga van Lunsen, also a board member here, which again drew my dream to a new level. Many, many hours in the saddle followed. And now, only a year after my first time on horseback I’ve already ridden in several shows. It was a hard year, where I have learned a lot. There is still lot to learn, to improve and to achieve, a long way to go, but a year ago I couldn’t imagine that only one year later I would write this down.

Therefore, I would like to use this post to thank some people for their part in realising my dream. My thanks go to Olga van Lunsen, Daniel Peters and Robbin van Miltenburg (Ponycentrum de Bento-Ranch), John & Catherine Conyard and Amy Wallace (Comitatus), Robert Wimmers, Wim van Broekhoven, Paul Karremans and Jasper Prins for all their support. Of course I certainly have forgotten people that put valuable input in this, but I think these were the most important ones.

Thank you all so much, without all your support this couldn’t have happened!

And for anyone else interested in Roman Cavalry impressions. It certainly is a lot of work, but will be worth it all! And for now I’m back to my workshop making more tack and other kit Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Congratulations Jurjen! A year has sped by indeed!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I'm impressed with your progress in one year- down to a lot of hard work I suspect, but it gives me hope as I had my first Roman riding lesson a month or so again ,also with John and Amy.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
That is sweet of you Jurjen. The first 5 years will be the hardest! Have you contacted Time Trotter yet? On the continent they will be your benchmark, and very good they are too.

I am pleased that Comitatus is still giving people the opportunity to ride as Romans, and supplying saddles across the globe. The last season was seminal for us. Our shows have improved 100% with the additional of new horses, different arena layouts and new skills. We are all riding on the new saddles now, and thinking about the accurate period riding styles. A full end of year report will go up on the Comitatus site in due course.

[attachment=1578]s29.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1579]sled.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1580]080-Copy.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1581]4.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1582]24.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1583]116-Copy.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Quote:That is sweet of you Jurjen. The first 5 years will be the hardest! Have you contacted Time Trotter yet? On the continent they will be your benchmark, and very good they are too.

Yes, I've good contact with both Timetrotter as well as Leg X Eq from Belgium. Michael (Timetrotter) also invited me to come and have a show with them. Big Grin We're now fully busy preparing for next season when we will be able to field 6 cavalryman. I hope we can do 4 on a regular basis and extend to 6 when an event want us to.

We recently also published a short 'trailer' to promote the project in the Netherlands.
http://vimeo.com/28659675
It features both Timetrotter and Leg X Eq, as well as a sneak preview of our decurio on the end, wearing the Xanten helmet. Hope you like it.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Basic material for me as a Scout within Numeri Exploratores Teuxandrii.
The picture is from last weekend.
The saddle is made by myself.
Has not been used much, but that will change.

[attachment=1840]313271_2233071199691_1635253765_2178698_384422474_n.jpg[/attachment]

Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Looking very good Garrelt! Lookinf forward to our next training session.

Here two pictures of me and Olga doing Eques gladiators. It was a real try-out, totally done with whatever equipment was available, so much have to be improved, but it was a good first try.

[Image: P2230883Large.jpg]

[Image: P2230889Large.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
I enjoyed it also, and was close by in case of need.
First things to change would be helmets and shields.

You will see me riding and training.
We already had a small try out duel last Sunday :wink:
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Made last Sunday
Playing around with one handed training spears.
[attachment=1844]309758_2235455939308_1635253765_2180714_458743638_n.jpg[/attachment]

Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Bare back! Now you're talking!!

(That's the horses not the riders BTW!)

Like the look of your saddle garrelt - is that a cinch girth you're using or does it have conventional "European" buckles as well?

Nice beaded neck strap, Jurjen - does that act as an OMG strap in emergencies? :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Nice beaded neck strap, Jurjen - does that act as an OMG strap in emergencies? :wink:

Thanks for the comments, and untill now I didn't use it for that purpose and I don't hope I will ever do that, at that strap isn't that strong...
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is anyone interested in Roman Renacting in Arizona Palmerius2002 13 2,722 08-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Palmerius2002
  Had a go at Roman riding :D (pics included) Et tu brute 40 7,884 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Et tu brute