Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Mail
I have seen a few illustrations showing a mail vest with a cape shoulder protection similsr to those worn by cavalry of earlier centuries.

Can anyone point me to a contemprary ilustration please?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:I have seen a few illustrations showing a mail vest with a cape shoulder protection similsr to those worn by cavalry of earlier centuries.

Only place I recall seeing something like that was a modern illustration in the Osprey book on late roman infantry.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Same here but it seems to have gained some currency and I can't see why :?
Conal Moran

Yoda
There is a relief of the God Mars from a votive pillar at Mavilly Cote d' Or 1st Century AD This is on page 169 of the H. R Robinson Armour of Imperial Rome, then above it there appears to be a cavalryman with what looks to be the same gear.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:There is a relief of the God Mars from a votive pillar at Mavilly Cote d' Or 1st Century AD This is on page 169 of the H. R Robinson Armour of Imperial Rome, then above it there appears to be a cavalryman with what looks to be the same gear.

These look like the typical hamata design but with flared shoulders. Would make an interesting reconstruction.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I'd assumed that Conal wanted a late example, not an early imperial one.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

The later the better .... post 300AD would be good.

There are a few examples of early stuff but I can find nothing for the later periods :|
Conal Moran

Yoda
Conal,

I had a quick look through my sources and from what I can figure shoulder doubling (Greek, Celtic and the odd variation) was basically out of fashion by 300 AD. Though I might have missed something.

Gregg
I would say even before that. However, there are a few busts of Late Roman emperors around, which has lead some groups to speculate about shoulder doublings ina LR context.

For instance, here is such a reconstruction from the Herculiani (F):

[Image: DSC_0086.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Conal,

I had a quick look through my sources and from what I can figure shoulder doubling (Greek, Celtic and the odd variation) was basically out of fashion by 300 AD. Though I might have missed something.

Gregg

What evidence is there for it previous to 300ad? Apart from the very early pricipate? There seems to be little
evidence or support for the use of doublers after the mid 2nd century....but if there is any I would be quite interested.
It would help me with a certain project of mine anyways.....Apologies for butting in here.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Conal was asking about 300 AD, but no, I don't know of any evidence after the early 2nd century for doubling, except for some late depictions of Emperors on busts, the enormous statue of Valentinian I, and the "Israelites Attack Hai" mosaic. Most or all of those may contain unrealistic classical elements and may not represent real armor, though the scale armor on the bust of Valentinian III looks pretty realistic and VERY cool.

Gregg
Quote:Most or all of those may contain unrealistic classical elements and may not represent real armor, though the scale armor on the bust of Valentinian III looks pretty realistic and VERY cool.

Gregg

The head is that of Valentian III but the bust itself may be from a much earlier period. Modern
curators tend to stick any old head onto any old torso without much justification. Sadly, busts
aren't of much help with regards to dating.

[Image: Valentinian.jpg]

~Theo
Jaime
It looks like things are starting to go a little off topic here, for was Conal not asking about a shoulder Cape and not doublings.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:It looks like things are starting to go a little off topic here, for was Conal not asking about a shoulder Cape and not doublings.

Yes, as shown on the cover of the old edition of Osprey's "Late Roman Infantryman" book.

[attachment=0:j135obuw]<!-- ia0 LRI.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:j135obuw]

Like I said, this is the only place I've seen it in a late context.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

That's one I have seen but I am sure that I have seen at least two other illustrations kreeping in ... probably in Osprey.

There is one where Roman Navy types are intercepting a Saxon raiding parrty in boats.

Another is in one of the fortification books, the Walls of Rome maybe??

I just thought that there would be at least one contemporary illustration to back up putting this in a published reconstruction.
Conal Moran

Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Length of late roman mail Sisyphus 1 921 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross