Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Similarities, differences in European languages
Quote:*Frisian excluded; Frisian shares a grammar with Dutch, and is, technically, not a language but a dialect.
However, take care never to mention that to a Frisian, especially not in a bar in Leeuwarden, and expect to live. :mrgreen:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Jona Lendering:jtmcvmlz Wrote:*Frisian excluded; Frisian shares a grammar with Dutch, and is, technically, not a language but a dialect.
However, take care never to mention that to a Frisian, especially not in a bar in Leeuwarden, and expect to live. :mrgreen:
Well, I survived telling this in Leeuwarden. But it was a mistake, indeed, that the government recognized Frisian as a language. It is like the government of Indiana issueing a decree that pi equaled 3.2, or the preamble of the EU constitution that stated that European civilization originated in Greece. It is not the government's responsibility to make pronouncements about mathematics, the interpretations of history, or the nature of language.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Lucky you are not in South Italia, because "pesce" here is also the "nickname" for the male member (at north we call it "uccello" (bird) )

Sex organs and acts have lots of euphomisms that vary geographically. I knew of a girl who was an entomologist collecting caterpillars (the larva of a buttefly/mariposa/farfalla) in Puerto Rico. She had a group of local boys to help her. When she held up a jar full of the worm-like creatures and asked them to get her "bichos" like these, a very common spanish term for insect, the boys were a laughed at her uneasily. Bicho is a phallic term in Puerto Rico.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Sex organs and acts have lots of euphomisms that vary geographically.
I remember my first visit to Iran; one of us had made badges so that he could train the local script, and our guide could learn our names. One of us had a name that caused many smiles, Marlous, which means something like "soft like a pussy".
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Marlous, which means something like "soft like a pussy".

I believe this is the same root word that the Greeks transliterated as MAR-donius. Big Grin
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:I believe this is the same root word that the Greeks transliterated as MAR-donius. Big Grin
Big Grin
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Ahem. That error, I made in Spain, ordering a coño instead of a cono of icecream.

Hahahaha! did you get what you ordered Jona?!

I think there are some establishments in Amsterdam's 'Rossebuurt' that serve such confections!!
Quote:
Quote:Ahem. That error, I made in Spain, ordering a coño instead of a cono of icecream.
Hahahaha! did you get what you ordered Jona?!
I received a smile and what I intended to order, not what I actually ordered.
Quote:I think there are some establishments in Amsterdam's 'Rossebuurt' that serve such confections!!
I think the girls will charge you extra. :oops:
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Similarities of Leather Musculatas Vitruvius 15 2,485 06-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius