Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Second Punic War battle help
Need a little help here.

I need to put together a list of battles or incidents where the Romans lost at least an entire legion and then promptly returned with new forces to crush the opposition. These would have to be battles that took place after Cannae.

I am putting together a bit on Roman resiliency (or stubborness) and wanted to list some examples. I already have the Roman defeat in Germany as a partial exception. Rome did return but not immediatly and not to conquer but to punish.

Any information would be appreciated.
Timothy Hanna
Quote:I already have the Roman defeat in Germany as a partial exception. Rome did return but not immediatly and not to conquer but to punish.
I think that the winter saved Germany; but when the spring came, Tiberius retaliated - I think that we might call that an immediate response. "Carrhae" may be a better example: five eagles lost (if I recall correctly) in 53, and no response until 44 - but Caesar was assassinated.

Other lost legions: XIIII in 54/53, destroyed by the Eburones, who were themselves destroyed within 300 days. There's evidence for this genocidal response, because pollen research shows that the area became empty.

The Clades Lolliana: the Sugambri take the eagle of V Alaudae, in 16 BC.

V Alaudae and XV Primegina surrendered to the Gallic Empire in early 70; immediate response.

XXI Rapax was destroyed by Decebalus; immediate response.

Perhaps XXII Deiotoriana was destroyed during the Bar Kochba revolt; immediate response.

In 161, the Parthians destroyed a legion (perhaps VIIII Hispana); Lucius Verus immediately counterattacked.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks for the information. I think one of the best direct quotes I have come across is from Josephus who showed no happiness at all when the Jewish rebels destroyed the first legion on the scene. It must have been pretty well known in the ancient world that beating Rome once on the battlefield just meant you were going to suffer an even bigger response in return.
Timothy Hanna
Quote:It must have been pretty well known in the ancient world that beating Rome once on the battlefield just meant you were going to suffer an even bigger response in return.
I know just what you mean. During the 1982 World Cup campaign, Scotland met a Brazil team which included the likes of Socrates, Zico and Falcão. Scottish elation at the opening goal by a young David Narey, after only 18 minutes, was tempered with the awful realisation that "we'd only made them angry". Brazil went on to win 4:1.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I know just what you mean. During the 1982 World Cup campaign, Scotland met a Brazil team which included the likes of Socrates, Zico and Falcão. Scottish elation at the opening goal by a young David Narey, after only 18 minutes, was tempered with the awful realisation that "we'd only made them angry". Brazil went on to win 4:1.
:lol:
Jona Lendering
My website
I am sure similar thoughts were running through the mind of a particular Japanese Admiral the day after Pearl Harbor.
Timothy Hanna
Back on topic.

In 110 BC, the Romans under Aulus Albinus were defeated by Jugurtha and forced to pass under the yoke. Metellus and later Marius retaliated. I do not know whether a legion was lost, but Jugurtha had been kicking against the wasp's nest and soon felt the Roman sting.

The war against the Cimbri and Teutones may be relevant too: Gnaeus Papirius Carbo was defeated in 113, Marcus Julius Silanus in 109, Lucius Cassius Longinus in 107. I do not know if they lost legions, but Rome was angry, and willing to allow the unconstitutional rise of Marius, if he would enable the Romans their revenge.
Jona Lendering
My website
It would be interesting if these examples could be qualified by culture: did the Romans respond differently to Celts and Germanics than 'civilized' states? In the case of the Cimbric invasion, the fear (real or imagined) of a barbaric invasion surely was at least as strong a motive for allowing unconstitutional arrangements, wouldn't you agree?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:It would be interesting if these examples could be qualified by culture: did the Romans respond differently to Celts and Germanics than 'civilized' states? In the case of the Cimbric invasion, the fear (real or imagined) of a barbaric invasion surely was at least as strong a motive for allowing unconstitutional arrangements, wouldn't you agree?

The fear of the Cimbrons(?), did it not stem from the Celtic invasion and humilliation of Rome from ages before?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Treatment of post battle friendly casualtie Andrew Smith 0 986 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Andrew Smith
  Finds from 1st Punic War Sicilian Naval Battle MeinPanzer 29 7,905 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Burial of dead post battle Quintus Sertorius 3 2,379 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt